House tours, ever been?

stud d

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I recently went on a local house tour in a nearby neighborhood. I was quite surprised to see such nice houses with such bad and horrid framing. I am talk about canvases being strecthed improperly and frames that were falling apart. This is how the rich live near me...?

So I was thinking about this for other folks...do you go on these types of activities? And if so do you try to talk to and educate the owners on the harm of paper mats and such? This is a huge plus...you are in their house and you see issues with the framing/art. You have that knowledge, but how do you turn it inot an advantage?

This place had hundreds of peoples in it, so no chance of speaking to the owner and getting one-on-one time.

Who and how has someone out there used this to thier advantage? I know someone smarter than I has already hit on this one...come one folks I would like to know how you made it work?????
Patrick Leeland

Hmm, New Westminster has a yearly old house tour. They emphasize what people have done to keep the architecture styles, renos completed and in progress, completed, and just houses with character.....I wonder if it would be tacky to leave a business card behind with a few "observations" written on the back side?

James

I think you would have to be extremely tactful and positive. Perhaps sending general materials about proper care and framing, with the note just mentioning that they owners seem to be art collectors and may find this of interest.
FWIW, I was overseeing a delivery to a customer, and they asked my opinion about their decor and renovations, from what wall sconces they should get, to whether they should re-frame a painting. Just as I was about to ask why they didn't get rid of the hideous wallcovering as a start, the wife called my attention to it and remarked on how happy she was with her choice. Whew, close one.

I did a lot of work for the Laird at a big estate nearby here.The majority of his paintings were in swept frames but were showing signs of ageing badly.Over the years I have bit by bit restored a whole load of these frames and right up until he died he would be bringing stuff into the workshop in various states of mildewed glory.

People like him (old money) dont actually give a stuff about how they are viewed by others.I know he had a Turner oil painting at ankle height on a back staircase to the kitchens.I shudder to think what it would be worth if it was sold.

He had to get the roof fixed one time and I remember him blowing dust of some insignificant looking painting,asking me to do something with the frame and then flogging it at auction for over quarter of a million.

Anyway why not give them a business card?Youre in business after all.

A discrete note sent a week later might be better received.

I would point out that they have a beautiful home that they have obviously lavished much time and love over. [Then point a couple of things that were outstanding, usually if there was a tour, they pointed them out for you.]

Then suggest that before they "once again grace the city by being on the home tour next year", you may be able to help them with "proper" framing that is period appropriate or more "keeping" with the caliber of the home.

Tricky ....

We have those tours here, and, I agree, the framing makes ya gag....

But, remember, they're showing off their place ... soliciting during a tour is kinda like ambulance chasing .... not sure if I'd want my name associated with that tactic.

VERY tricky.

Those horrible frames with the badly stretched canvas, in their mind, could be their loveliest pieces! And if you didn't know that and threw a suggestion at them, you might land on their list!

Remember: Money & fame don't necessarily translate into good taste.

PS: You have no idea how many times similar folks would bring an expensive painting in a junky frame.
No, they love the frame, they just want to change the broken glass....

I have been asked to donate & thereby get a listing in the house tour brochure. It was put on by a charity.
In another case I was asked to loan artwork, which I did. I had some biz cards and an artist bio just under it in the house where it hung. They only had it for three days and I made them sign "loaner agreement" for loss or damage. About a week later a lady called about it and came in & bought it - $3500.00.
Not for everybody but its added exposure to people that might otherwise not know your work. As I said they only had it for three days.

I've asked friends of mine about this very topic. There is a group of us who go on the holiday tours around here, of which there are plenty.

Some of the artwork and its framing are enough to make you shake your head in pure wonder. But...I see no way ever to hint, imply, or even comment that it could be improved. Those types of criticisms are usually viewed as insulting, and I would be highly offended if someone approached me with such a proposal while touring my home. You're just lucky if you get a deal like Tim's but I'll bet that doesn't happen often.

Our house was on a Christmas tour put on by our church ladies' circle in 1978. Stress: opening your home and your basic tastes to total strangers for their comments.

or just dispense with diplomacy altogether and tell them all the framing in their house is rubbish and needs to be sorted before they lose face in polite circles.

You could never imagine a vicar coming round on his bycycle for tea and tiffin to a house with such shoddy stuff on the wall.

My financee and I are in the process of deciding whether to live in my house or buy a new one together when we marry next year. We visited a beautiful home a month ago... great floor plan, lovely furniture, hardwoods and tile, custom window treatments, 2 acres, fairly expensive for this part of the country. Almost every framed picture had a bowed top rail. I just couldn't believe it. I think education is the key but don't really know how to get the message across.

sounds like a PERFECT 'in' to talk all them poor underprivilaged's into a mobile/we come help you out venture.....pointing out the dangers(ever had one on those babies fall on you toe from 6-8 feet???) sounds like the perfect venture for the new year!!!!

get out there and sell services/product!!!

Find out where these homeowners hang. Garden club? Day spa? Then offer to present a short seminar (for free if necessary) on the benefits of good framing.

I used to have quite a few customers who enjoyed the snob appeal of 'having it done right'.

Once you educate a few of them, they will spread the word for you.

Kit

Back