• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Hinging Circular Art Print

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

K.Murphy

Grumbler in Training
Hey all. Been haivng some difficulty finding an answer to this on the archives, but I have a client with a deckled 24" x 24" art print that he would like floated. I have no troubles with setting up hinges for most artworks, but the shape of this one has me stumped. It's on a heavier weighted paper, but I still worry about the sides eventually curling if I only do two hinges at the very top. And then if I do two hinges spaced out to the sides, then I worry about the top curling from gravity.

Is it better to do 3 - 4 hinges along the top, rather than just two, or am I overthinking it? Anyone have any experience with odd-shaped paper art?

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
I would cut a circular mount a bit smaller than the piece and hinge it several places around the circumference attaching the hinges so that they fold around and attach to the back of the circular mount.
This would in turn be adhered to the secondary mount using glue.
You can also do the same thing using the fallout of a circular opening mat and once the piece is hinged to the fallout, tape the fallout back into the mat.
This technique is used on rectangular float mounts as well.

K.Murphy

Grumbler in Training
I would cut a circular mount a bit smaller than the piece and hinge it several places around the circumference attaching the hinges so that they fold around and attach to the back of the circular mount.
This would in turn be adhered to the secondary mount using glue.
You can also do the same thing using the fallout of a circular opening mat and once the piece is hinged to the fallout, tape the fallout back into the mat.
This technique is used on rectangular float mounts as well.

I like the thought of doing a platform and giving it some depth, but I'm a bit shy when it comes to doing more than 2 - 3 hinges on a piece. I will definitely consider it. Thank you for your response!

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Hi, K. You might already be familiar with this, but I'm sharing in case it helps. Doesn't address circular pieces, but does give good tips.

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I have hinged many oval & circle pieces and I have always found that one hinge directly in the center at the top, one hinge each side at the shoulders if oval or about 1/3 of the way down if it is circled and with both up a from the bottom just enough to keep it from lifting but the bottom hinges should also be loose enough so you can move it slightly left and right. This works on a pedestal mount too. How many hinges you use depends upon the size of the art, I usually install hinges every 4 to 6 inches.

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

K.Murphy

Grumbler in Training
Hi, K. You might already be familiar with this, but I'm sharing in case it helps. Doesn't address circular pieces, but does give good tips.

Shayla, thank you for the resources!

I have hinged many oval & circle pieces and I have always found that one hinge directly in the center at the top, one hinge each side at the shoulders if oval or about 1/3 of the way down if it is circled and with both up a from the bottom just enough to keep it from lifting but the bottom hinges should also be loose enough so you can move it slightly left and right. This works on a pedestal mount too. How many hinges you use depends upon the size of the art, I usually install hinges every 4 to 6 inches.
Joe, this is great information. Thank you!! This backs up our hypothesis about the top hinges, but I had yet to consider the bottom ones. I'll also keep the 4-6" in mind

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Shayla, thank you for the resources!

Joe, this is great information. Thank you!! This backs up our hypothesis about the top hinges, but I had yet to consider the bottom ones. I'll also keep the 4-6" in mind
I have a feeling that I use way more float hinges than many framers. But I still just snug up one at the top and give all the others a bit of wiggle room.

High quality easel backs from craft inc