• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

hinge separator and blotter

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Manny Costa

Grumbler
what do conservation framers actually use as hinge separators and blotters?

I'd like to start practicing mounting works on paper with klucel g and various Japanese paper

thanks!

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor

David Hewitt

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Melinex 516 (Mylar) can be used as a non sticking separator.

For blotters, ( If you are using water in your adhesive ) have a stack ( dozen or more ) of rag paper, or 2ply rag, cut 2x2 or size appropriate for the job. Make sure to dry them out, allowing removal of any moisture in the paper, using an iron, heat press, or even a microwave. ( store them in a sandwich bag, or air tight container) The dryness will help absorb the moisture that is in the hinges faster. This will help prevent cocking of item being mounted. Put a small weight on the blotter to get a better contact with the hinge. Also change blotters several times as they gather the moisture. ( every few minutes )

Last edited:
Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Frances M.

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Per a suggestion made when I asked a similar question, the Reemay non-woven insect barrier you use on garden plants works very well between the blotter and the damp hinge to keep the blotter from sticking to hinge. It does not absorb water nor does it seem to stick to hinge if turned at you turn your blotter. Buy the smallest size of the heaviest weight and you will have more than enough for a lifetime!

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
The white, spunbound, fabric-looking material used to wrap many length mouldings can be used as a separator, too. I'm not sure of the composition, but it reminds me of Reemay 2024 (Talas) and seems to be a synthetic fabric, maybe polyester.

Another wrapping material for length moulding is a white, perforated fabric that looks like Pe-Cap 7-60 (Talas), and it also works.

Anyway, you can save a few feet of the wrapping, cut it into small pieces, wash them, and use them as separators. These are not porous materials and will not absorb or stick to the paste.

2-ply matboard can be used as a blotter, as well as paper towels or microfiber towels.

Greg Fremstad

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
I've found that cotton infant socks filled with dry rice to be just the perfect weight for hinging. They can be dried in the microwave between uses. You want contact - not pressure. If your weight is too heavy, it will squeeze the dampness into the art . Check out the articles on the frametek web pages on hinging tips. Will save you a lot of grief .

Manny Costa

Grumbler
thanks, everyone! lots of useful advice!

@Greg Fremstad also made a great point about the perfect weight.

does anyone know what that number actually is?

or would you say that it depends on the scenario?

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
United Kingdom, West Sussex Coast. (Bottom centre)
Hows about a nice easy to understand how-to on this klucel G?

I was a bit dissapointed to, fairly recently read, from someone I (and everyome else) have huge respect for, that there was concern for some time about the ediblle nature of starch paste but then to be presented with an article on this new substance that made no sense to me at all.

I starch paste bad now? Do I need to recall a whole load of important stuff because bugs love stuff I included in a frame?

Manny Costa

Grumbler
Hows about a nice easy to understand how-to on this klucel G?

I was a bit dissapointed to, fairly recently read, from someone I (and everyome else) have huge respect for, that there was concern for some time about the ediblle nature of starch paste but then to be presented with an article on this new substance that made no sense to me at all.

I starch paste bad now? Do I need to recall a whole load of important stuff because bugs love stuff I included in a frame?

I have no experience in using either yet but If i came to your shop and saw that you were using wheat paste I'd say your a pro and still are bud

Ive been using pst's untill Another framer whome i admire and look upto stated to me that it's only a matter of time when they fail on you.

I've been told that Hugh Phibbs is a big fan and promotes the use of klucel g

The main reason I'm attracted to klucel g is because if im not mistaken, you can replace the use of water with alchohol in which you have a higher flash to prevent cockling.

Just like blotters, im still absorbing all this each day 🤓

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Framing techniques are always evolving. I still use wheat paste where needed, but am hearing more and more about klucel g. I have not used it, nor do I have any. But interested to hear and learn more.

It might just be the new thing to do, I don't know. Doesn't mean what we did in the past is bad, just that it might be outdated now.

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I still use wheat paste where needed, but am hearing more and more about klucel g.
I'll stick with rice or wheat paste - both have centuries old history, when klucel g has a longer history I will consider it then I will wait a bit longer.

Lafontsee

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
For weights we stack 10-12 pieces of scrap glass cut to 4" x 4", padded on one side with matboard, and taped together with packing tape.

For blotters, I was taught to use black or dark-colored 4-ply. It makes it easier to see if you are still pulling moisture out of the hinge before you weight it down.

James

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC