Help attaching hanging hardware to difficult mirror

hegs

Grumbler in Training
Business
self
I bought a vintage brass mirror online.

How should I attach hanging hardware to it?

It's heavy (~40lbs) and I can't see a great place at the back of the mirror to attach D-Rings.

Attachments

• mirror.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1390.jpg
    IMG_1390.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1392-s.jpg
    IMG_1392-s.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 27
Welcome to the G!

I am not sure if you are a framer or maybe a woodworker? Hard to tell from the photos if this is brass over wood? If so, you can build a strainer and attach your hardware on that. The strainer would be screwed into the wood of the frame.

If it is 40lbs, you might want to use z-bars, top and bottom.

Yep! D rings and cord or any type of wire across frame with that skinny profile would twist the wood and tear the whole thing apart. It needs a substantial piece of wood, preferably two pieces fixed across to reinforce the frame then Z bars top and bottom.

I second the recommendation for a full strainer inside the back of the frame. I'd consider pocket screws to attach it. Look up Kreg jig if you're unfamiliar.

A cleat, either z-bar or wooden, would be appropriate to hang it. With a little preplanning, you can build a strainer that is angled inside to act as a cleat that meshes with a complimentary angled wood cleat mounted to the wall. As long as the outer frame is reasonably secure, you should be fine.

James

Back