• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Help attaching hanging hardware to difficult mirror

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

hegs

Grumbler in Training
Business
self
I bought a vintage brass mirror online.

How should I attach hanging hardware to it?

It's heavy (~40lbs) and I can't see a great place at the back of the mirror to attach D-Rings.

Attachments

• mirror.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1390.jpg
    IMG_1390.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1392-s.jpg
    IMG_1392-s.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 24

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Welcome to the G!

I am not sure if you are a framer or maybe a woodworker? Hard to tell from the photos if this is brass over wood? If so, you can build a strainer and attach your hardware on that. The strainer would be screwed into the wood of the frame.

If it is 40lbs, you might want to use z-bars, top and bottom.

artfolio

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Yep! D rings and cord or any type of wire across frame with that skinny profile would twist the wood and tear the whole thing apart. It needs a substantial piece of wood, preferably two pieces fixed across to reinforce the frame then Z bars top and bottom.

Lafontsee

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
I second the recommendation for a full strainer inside the back of the frame. I'd consider pocket screws to attach it. Look up Kreg jig if you're unfamiliar.

A cleat, either z-bar or wooden, would be appropriate to hang it. With a little preplanning, you can build a strainer that is angled inside to act as a cleat that meshes with a complimentary angled wood cleat mounted to the wall. As long as the outer frame is reasonably secure, you should be fine.

James

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC
Direct Contact Overlays DCO Book by James Miller