• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Hanging With Strainer Frames

Direct Contact Overlays DCO Book by James Miller

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Our general mantra when framing a stretched canvas is that the hangers go on the frame, not the back of the stretcher. But if the 'stretcher' is really a sturdy strainer frame, and the outer frame is slight, it seems like hanging from the strainer should be okay. In this case, we have a 30 x 60 stretched on a 1 x 3" heavy strainer, with lots of bracing. Any thoughts?

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Business
death star driver
Go for it.
If I may ask... why would you be hesitant to do it that way?

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor Forum Sponsor
I suggest you use a 2-point hanging system, because hanging by wire from one wall hook would tend to pull the side-rails together over time. Even if it's braced well, just a slight inward deflection could make the canvas wrinkle. Also, make sure the customer can't put a wire on it.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
I guess it would depend on which was providing the most support, stretcher or frame. In this instance the stretcher is supporting the frame so the hanging mechanism (I totally agree with Jim about a 2 point system) should be attached to the stretcher/strainer.

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com