Hanging picture on a boat

Frame Lady

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Customer has a 68 ft crusier and wants to hang a 30 x 48 picture on a wall in a hallway. Problem, hallway wall is only about 1/4" thick, one side is the hallway and the other side is the bathroom (head). Security hangers will poke through the wall, velcro all around the back of the frame would be a nightmare to the wall, does any one have any suggestions? We used plexi to lighten the load. Thanks in advance for the help.
Lynn

Secure from the head side into the frame.

Position the frame....drill some holes....and then use brass screws from the head side and screw them into the frame.....use silicon to seal around the screw heads......

Dermot

Presently in Michigan

Yeah, that's the way we did it on the Cumston, Lynn. Except we didn't have silicon in those days so we used plumbers putty.

8-10 1-1/2" screws and they can attend those Huskey games with PRIDE.

baer

The advange of screws over velcro is that you can take them out, and putty the holes, much easier than getting all the velcro adhesive/staples off. A poster going on a boat is a good candidate for laminating. The idea is to keep it looking good for as long as possible in an unfriendly environment.

Thanks for the tips fellow Grumblers... have similar situations I'm facing now.

Dave Makielski

Presently in the State of Confusion

Lynn,

Let us borrow the boat for six months and we'll achieve the VERY BEST solution for them!!
icon21.gif

Dave you might want to cap the screws with teak buttons instead of putty or silicon. if the head wall is teak.
Jim

PS. Dave sorry I missed the ribs hopefully next time.

If you use screws my choice would be stainless with trim washers. Typical wall construction on boats these days is just laminate on either side of a stiff foam core. Screws without washers may pull through the wall.
Another solution is to use a lightweight Z-Bar or the light cleat from Brooklyn Hardware and attach it to the wall with aluminum screw posts. That way all that would show on the head side is an flat aluminum button. A little LockTight would keep the screw posts from vibrating loose. Maybe even a little adhesive on the cleat wouldn't be a bad idea. Now all you have to do is figure out is how to secure the bottom of the frame. One or two screws through the wall should be enough or a couple of tabs of marine grade velcro could work. Glad it's you and not me....

I have hung pictures on large motor yachts before and if you are putting weight on a wall that is only a 1/4" thick even with pexi would be to much weight for a picture the size you want to hang. You run the risk of permanently damaging the wall. Also, unless you are knowledgeable about the gel coats, fiberglass, teak, and other materials inner cabin walls are made of, it would be a big risk for you to do this job. Ocean going vessels of that type can at times take quite a beating. Especially during high seas and storms. If it were me, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft. pole. The liability to your business could be tremendous.

What about using one of the galery hanging systems?

I know I have seen one system wherein the cable is securely attached at the top and bottom (roof and floor). Might be overkill, but I'd be leary about hanging anything to 1/4" thick walls!

Originally posted by Bob Doyle:
What about using one of the galery hanging systems?

I know I have seen one system wherein the cable is securely attached at the top and bottom (roof and floor). Might be overkill, but I'd be leary about hanging anything to 1/4" thick walls!
I carry those products.

I worked with two "boat interior designers" to permit the rotation of artworks inside the boat. It might not be exactly your needs.

The system uses two tracks, one attach to the ceiling the other one to the floor, we also carry a track that can be installed on the wall.

A cable runs between the tracks with a spring loaded system. Hooks are making the link between your artworks and our system. If you want, I can post pictures.

Walter

This "picture" is a poster, right? Collectible art would have a short life in that situation. A photograph would have an even shorter life.

Any "gallery hanging system" I've seen would allow some movement of the frame. Remember that this is not a static wall -- it moves abruptly in all directions. I'd favor screwing it to the wall from the opposite side, as Dermot suggested.

I agree with Hanna. This poster art would be a good candidate for laminating, which would serve two purposes: 1. it would eliminate the need for other galzing, and 2. it would minimize the possibility of moisture damage from condensation.

Back