Hand-operated Staple Gun

SpikeDram

Grumbler in Training
From
Arlington, VA
I am looking for some opinions of a simple hand-operated, not-electric or compressed air, staple gun. I need it about 8 or 10 times a year and don't feel like spending a fortune for a replacement. I have gone through 3 in the past 4 years and need another one. The last dud I bought was a Cobra, because the hand grip is comfortable and eveone could use it easily. Alas, a small piece fell out and it has stopped dead. I fear there has been a reversal of an old truism: They sell he staple guns cheap so theey will make money on the staples. (I know the saying originated with Razors.)

Dave

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
From
Edwardsburg, MI
Welcome to the Grumble, SpikeDram!

I used a hand operated staple gun for many until it gave up the ghost. It was a Stanley.

However, since buying an electric gun, I will never go back to a manually operated staple gun again.

Dave Makielski

Bill Henry-

From
Boondock Bowerbank, ME
Business
Retired from the grind
You didn’t mention what you were planning to use the staple gun for … which (Oh, crud, I’m gonna get a post from Cap’n English).

In addition to an electric heavy duty stapler, we have a “medium” duty hand stapler bought from Sears. We’ve had it for almost twenty years with no problems, and use it quite frequently. It takes #516 Swingline staples.

Pat Murphey

From
Lafayette, NJ
Go with the Sears Craftsman "Easy-fire". It is designed so that when you push the lever, you are pushing on the end that staples. The staples go all the way in with far less effort.

Pat :D

MerpsMom

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Charter Member
From
Leawood, Kansas USA
Bill, I can't speak for Captain English, but she and I have had a conversation in the past: it is no longer a grammatically criminal offense to end a sentence with a preposition. The gurus- who-know caved. Now...as to whether or not it is socially acceptable, or indemnifies you from Captain English's critiques? That, gentle reader, is quite another matter.

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
From
United Kingdom, West Sussex Coast. (Bottom centre)
Business
Retired
I've used a rapid proline for years, it's pretty bulletproof and the handle doubles as a spindle for balls of crotchet cotton when lacing needlework!

Jim Miller

Forum Donor
From
Suburban Central Ohio
The nicest manual stapler I've seen is the "Rocama 16/Model ST 50 O.C." It is made by Romeo Maestri (aka ro-ma) in Milano, Italy. I think it was marketed in the USA under the name "Maestri".

This machine is well made and sturdy. The spring tension is adjustable and it will shoot a range of staple lengths. Also, there is a unique, optional "foot" -- easily attached without tools -- that bends the staple outward instead of shooting it straight in. That means you can shoot a staple into 3/16" foam center board and it will not come out the other side. That would be quite handy for covering a background board with fabric, for example.

United stocked them for a time, but I think they are discontinued now. I don't know of a current source, but if you can find one, I suggest you buy it.

Sherry Lee

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
From
Phoenix, Az.
Jim (& others),
We tried to call Romeo Maestri's N.Y. phone number last month and it seems to not be in service any longer. If you, or anyone, comes up with a U.S. contact number, please let me know.

Thanks!

SpikeDram

Grumbler in Training
From
Arlington, VA
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will try the Sears Product. If Worse comes to worst, I will add it to my growing collection of inoperable staples and donate the lot the the Smithsonian.
I found this site for the Italian Staple
http://www.romeomaestri.com/en/prodotti/ufficio/confezionamento/roma_h/roma_h.htm
I am worried though that the European model might use staples measured in Metric measurements.