• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Donmar Creations

Grumble with unsafe connection!

Peter Odems

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
This Grumble is still functioning without a safe-connection certificate. When do we get a safe connection? Do we need to donate?

cvm

PFG, Picture Framing God
You use a VPN, don't you?

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Given that theG doesn't offer anything for sale, it isn't a big deal. Just make sure that the password you use on theG isn't used on any sites where you buy things or enter CC info.

Implementing HTTPS isn't a big deal but it isn't trivial either. I have to jump though a few hoops every December; time that could be better spent on theG or playing poker.

Peter Odems

Hmmm. This is a database with personal data from many people. Why not simply secure it? Some who like things bad now can pick it as a weak item to collect mail addresses.

Pat Murphey

Since The Grumble is hosted gratis by Bill, Peter, you can take over and run it the way you want, or just butt out.

Donmar Creations

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Most sites use free certificates, and the currently installed version of the forum software is designed for https, so I'm sure at some point he will switch it over. (the version is current) It requires a certificate (free or paid), some setting changes in the software, and a change one of the files in the root folder of the web server.

It's really not that big of a concern, however, in my opinion. As browsers start to pop up bigger warnings or even block sites with http, it will be a higher priority.

The next big thing will be the new privacy laws that kick in soon for some states in USA, requiring software changes. (similar to what EU did, but slightly different) I believe California is leading the charge on that one.

It goes live in one month, with enforcement starting in July of 2020.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
The next big thing will be the new privacy laws that kick in soon for some states in USA, requiring software changes. (similar to what EU did, but slightly different) I believe California is leading the charge on that one.
Do you do business or have customers (or potential customers) in California? If you answered yes to this question, and you meet one of the following criteria, your company must conform to CCPA regulations:

• Your annual gross revenue is more than $25 million.
  • Your organization receives, shares, or sells personal information of more than 50,000 individuals.
  • Your company earns 50% or more of its annual revenue from selling personal information of consumers.
I'll have to check with my accountant to see if I must conform. :confused:

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Seriously, you were able to answer yes to ANY of those questions??

• Your annual gross revenue is more than $25 million.
  • Your organization receives, shares, or sells personal information of more than 50,000 individuals.
  • Your company earns 50% or more of its annual revenue from selling personal information of consumers.

Really doubt your gross is over $50 million.

If so, why are you selling personal info of your customers??

Not your accountant, but I can feel fairly confident that you don't need to comply.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Seriously, you were able to answer yes to ANY of those questions??
I used the confused emoji because we don't have a sarcasm one. Perhaps one of these might have been more appropriate.

;):cry::faintthud::p:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:shrug::vomit:

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Yeah, that makes waaaay more sense!! :faintthud:

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Well that's a relief! People on some forum forums (forums like this for forum owners) are scrambling because of it, to meet the deadline in a month. I'm glad it doesnt apply, for now.

UzZx32QU

Forum Founder
Forum Donor
Peter, I offer a free service, I don't sell anything here, I've never sold grumbler data, You email address is the only thing that's checked. You can enter a fake name and birth date if you want. I've never given data to any sponsor. Seriously I've recently tried to give theG to several different people that I thought could run it but so far I've gotten all no's.

framer

Peter Odems

Framer, with some of us we could sponsor that easily. No mistake: I also like your holding up this Grumbler!

Pat Murphey

Peter, sponsoring is not enough as there is also a lot of work to maintain The Grumble. Bill is retired and would like to pass the buck.

Peter Odems

I just saw the other posting Pat.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.
FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202