Grumble upgrades

The software itself (Xenforo), which will have many new features (outlined above in this thread).
Some of the highlights:

• An optional Progressive WEB APP, for our mobile guests (PWA for Android and IOS)
  • A brand new and improved WYSIWYG editor for composing posts, with MANY improvements.
  • Optional 'Activity Summary' emails can be sent by the forum every couple weeks if you would like a periodic update of hot topics.
  • Virtual "search forums" to present discussions by topic, can be added, regardless of which subforums the discussions are in
  • Profile banners will be more configurable, including background images
  • Unregistered guests will be able to compose a reply to a post before registering, and it will keep it on hold until they finish their registration
  • Members will be able to change their forum username, without staff assistance.
  • Some forums will be set up in a Q&A format, where members can "rate" the best answer. That answer will then be on top, under the question.
  • etc

I have a question for you, Mike. I see that when someone posts a link here and I click on it, the new website replaces the Grumble and the only way to get back to the G is by using the back button.

Is that the G or is it me?

Does not happen with external links on any other websites, though - they always open in a new window.

If its internal, it should take you there. If it's external, it should open in a new window.

If you want it to always open in a new tab, hold CONTROL key on Windows, when you click. (or SHIFT key if you want it to open whole new browser session)

That's how I personally look at new posts. I click NEW POSTS and hit CONTROL CLICK on any that I want to view, which go to new tabs. Then when done, I go through the tabs.

Mike

The sidebar list of new posts refreshes/updates every 5 minutes, so it can sometimes be out of synch. The search index is immediate, however.

The new version of our forum software has received the green light from the developers, and was released from beta today.

We will be doing some in house testing first on a test server, for a possible conversion of the live site on the weekend of 10/3 or 10/10.

There will be some minimal downtime when we convert, but don't expect any problems.

Absolutely. It's not that different from this version, just with some new features and a new smartphone/tablet app. It will look and work almost exactly the same.

I use Firefox myself.

Tik, tik tik, sounds the rain at the roof.
Tjop, tjop tjop is a box full with spoof.
Tap, tap tap is a handful of spam.
Tjip, tjip tjip is a letter from Pam.

Take care for spoof and spam people!

We are now on the new software, as of 4-6am today.

You may notice some changes in the editor, and if you have a smartphone - you may get an invite to install our new progressive web app. The app may not be available to some IOS browsers, because of some restrictions Apple has, but hopefully they will change this policy soon. I know that Safari isn't compatible to load the PWA.

Some of the new things mentioned above will be activated in the coming days.

If you see anything odd, please let the team know

Thanks,
Mike

Apple IOS users with SAFARI may have to click the "Toggle BB Code" switch on the top right of the editor, to disable it. [ ]

A similar issue existed with the previous version of the software, and the issue is on the Apple side. Apple has been contacted by the authors, in hopes of having them improve the Safari browser and some of its restrictions. By clicking that toggle, when you create a message, it will essentially "dumb it down" and turn off the bar with the special text editing tools. This is the fix, for now, if you have an IOS device with Safari.

Many IOS/Safari folks are also unable to take advantage of our new PWA (progressive web app) at this time, due to the same limitations. Hopefully Apple makes some changes soon so these things will be available to our guests who use Apple products.

1601827336508.png

New feature:

-Activity Summary emails are auto sent by the system, if you have been inactive for at least 2 weeks. Each email is generated personally for you, based on the most recent activity as of the moment it is sent, discussions you are involved with that have new posts, and which sub forums you have used in the past. It gives a taste/teaser of the hottest topics, to hopefully tempt you back to visit the forum.

We have only turned this on for folks who have been active in 2020, and it won't start until mid month. (and only if you don't visit for at least 14 days)

There is a new option for this in your user profile, where it can be disabled if you wish. (under PRIVACY -> EMAIL OPTIONS -> ACTIVITY SUMMARY EMAIL)
There will be an opt out link in the actual emails, as well, for those who do not wish to get these updates.

Last edited:
-You now have the ability to CHANGE your username. This change will be applied to your profile. and all previous posts.

Did you want to change capitalization or use a real name instead of a nickname? This is the place!

-You can also now change your PROFILE BANNER image in that same screen. (the image that shows behind your name and stats)

-As of today, the G has full GIPHY integration, with access to the full library. These are mainly for use in the SOCIAL areas of the forum (Warped, etc) If you would like to insert an animated GIF file, click GIF in the message editor. You can then search for something appropriate to match your content. Hopefully, it doesn't get out of hand. ha

GGIPHY.png

Brand New Love GIF by TANGS SINGAPORE
French Reaction GIF by Morphin
no way wow GIF

Hopefully, it doesn't get out of hand. ha
no way wow GIF

Of course it will get out of hand. It is theG afterall.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The G will be down in the early hours of Wed 10/14 for a software upgrade to version 2.2.1, which is just a maintenance update. (it fixes about 20 small things in this major new version)

I'm amazed at the amount of effort that Mike and the whole team have put into the Grumble.
You are setting the bar high for other forums.
I browse a couple of other non-framing forums, they don't hold a candle to The G.
Thank You and Congratulations on all your hard work.
Thank-You GIF by Stefanie Shank

To install the 'G' APP:

1) visit the page at The Picture Framers Grumble https://www.thegrumble.com from the device

2) If the device is Windows 10 or MacOS with Chrome, you'll see the + install option to the right of the address bar on top.

2) If the device is a supported smartphone or tablet*, click the hamburger menu on the top left of the page and click the "Install The App" button.

*Push Notification and the Progressive Web App are available to users of Windows 10, Mac OS, and Android Phones/Tablets. Apple's IOS does not yet support this standard, so it will not work on IOS devices at this time. Chrome Browser is recommended for best results.

I'm curious. I use theG on my Note8 and 2 Samsung tablets (the 5e and 6) and I happy using it in a browser on those devices. Before I install the App I have to ask; what do I get in the app that I don't get in the browser version?

There's no harm in checking it out, you will still be able to use both. It claims to be "15 fold faster", vs a web browser. Some recently viewed content is cached offline if you lose internet. It's easier to get right to the site from the icon, vs opening browser and typing it in.

Xenforo software is already very mobile friendly.

I think it really depends on the person and what they like. I don't personally use the progressive web app, because I work with a bunch of tabs open - and it doesn't work that way.

What I do heavily use is the PUSH NOTICATIONS feature, which was improved today. I gave it new icon(s).

Something seems to be going on with the emojis.
The ones I previously posted are now question marks and when I pull up the emoji (smilies) they are mostly question marks.
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 9.16.03 PM.png

Haven't seen this before.
Do I need to change my browser?
I'm on a Mac 10.14.6 Mojave and I'm using Safari 13.0.1 and I've had no other issues with it.
I can upgrade to Catalina and Safari 14.0 but I see no need to do that.

Everything else seems to be OK.
It's a little different when attaching pictures but it works.

Thanks for all of your hard work, Mike.
I'm just a few years past writing up orders on stone tablets....:cool:

Last edited:
Oh I can fix that. It's probably NOT your computer. You are seeing fixed smilies but not the animated ones, for some reason.

After the upgrade this morning, i'll figure out why it is doing that.

I think it's all set now, and the update is also done.
Don't forget, the forum now supports EMOJIS👀🤢🎁, in addition to Smilies:soapbox: and GIPHY images.
scooby doo halloween GIF

For Windows 10 users, WINDOWS KEY plus the PERIOD . button will bring up the Emoji selection window.

For Smilies, click the smiley face on the top bar of the new messaged editor on the G.

To pick a GIPHY, click "GIF" on the top bar of the new message editor on the G.

-Customized the look of PUSH NOTIFICATIONS. You can turn these on for most smart phones, tablets, or even Windows 10 and MacOS. If your device supports push notifications, a pop up will show at the bottom of the screen. The logo has been changed from a generic BELL icon to a G, to represent "the G". These notify you instantly on that device, if you have a PM from another member, or a reply to a watched discussion.

Here is a snapshot of the top of my Android S20+ screen. Notice the G notification, next to the SMS/text notification on the top line.

20201014_115404.jpg

Hey! I was just getting used to the witch hat - now we have a spider?

*grump*

🤣

Also: I see we now have to go looking for emoticons.

Oh I can fix that. It's probably NOT your computer. You are seeing fixed smilies but not the animated ones, for some reason.

After the upgrade this morning, i'll figure out why it is doing that.
As usual you fixed it Mike:thumbsup:
(I know, I'm a Mac guy...)
I'm using the GIFs , ( or is it abusing the GIFs?..)
200.gif
Cat And Dog Gifsthatkeepongiving GIF by MOODMAN
K Camp Puppy GIF by TikTok

I toned down the bats, there were originally 10 at a time!

Here you go:
halloween-ani-ghost-image.gif

..and now they are GONE... AGAIN!!!

I found that if I could get my curser in front of a bat, it changed direction...or so it seemed.

Not helping the workload in here, tho!!

Either it has been the busiest this summer in years or I'm getting older and it is taking longer to do the work.
I'm still behind on getting stuff out the door and it is almost winter!

Just saying.. the bats are a pleasant distraction from work overload.

Also... this year, my Christmas cactus is a Halloween cactus. It is full bloom right now!!! :faintthud: :shutup:
Each year, it picks a different holiday to bloom. Last year, it was a Rosh Hashanah cactus.

-A new Grumble Live Chat feature has been added, for those interested. If you scroll down below the forum list at the main menu, you will see the chat room.
-At popular request, you can now display your LOCATION and BUSINESS NAME on every post. (See example on this post)
If you would like to update your profile to include these items on your posts, click your name up on the top right side of the forum. Then click ACCOUNT DETAILS.
While in there, you may even want to add or change your AVATAR (photo).
-We are also now on the newest Xenforo 2.2.2 software, released this week.

Seasons greetings to all!
The G support team

<-------

Back