• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Register for the picture framer's grumble

Grumble upgrades

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
-Added a graphic with some suggestions/instructions when someone posts a new ad in the FOR SALE section.

1594204850305.png

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
-Added the ability for folks to mark their item as SOLD, with one click, in the forum's FOR SALE section. When you mark your item as SOLD, it will also change the PREFIX from "FOR SALE" to "SOLD". (which then appears in the message list, new posts widget, etc) Items can be marked SOLD only be the original poster (or support team), at any time in the future.

1594205268314.png

Once clicked, it adds the SOLD prefix to the title.

1594205121524.png

MnSue

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
very fabulous additions...thanks MIke

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
One thing you might suggest is that sellers don't use "Best Offer". I don't know about others, but that is a turnoff for me. List an asking price.

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
By their nature, I think all listings are best offer. But it helps to have a starting price, to know what the seller would like.

Framar

WOW Framer
A "Sold" feature is great, Mike. That will (hopefully) prevent those "Is this still available?" inquiries on 10 year-old listings. ;)

Because, unfortunately, just like on Facebook, folks never pay any attention to dates.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
A "Sold" feature is great, Mike. That will (hopefully) prevent those "Is this still available?" inquiries on 10 year-old listings. ;)

Because, unfortunately, just like on Facebook, folks never pay any attention to dates.
It might prevent some of those dumb inquiries but we have a large populace that refuses to read anything and just blindly blunders ahead. I'm in a conversation at the moment on Etsy that should never have been started. The CX didn't read the listing. It was easier to waste my time with questions than read the listing. Sorry. my rant du jour.

I'm sure that even with Mike's great "Sold" feature, we will get some that ignore it and inquire.

Maybe a "Sold" overlaid on something like this.

tedh

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Frankenfurter alert: Hey Larry when I put stuff on the online site, like my canoes and kayaks, I spend a lot of time on the details, so I can rant like you when the moron paddlers of the world ask stupid questions. People just don’t like to read.

Or thimk.

Framar

WOW Framer
I follow a Dollhouse Miniatures dealer on FB and she is constantly complaining about customers of hers who get all bent out of shape when they order a clearly marked "miniature" item and receive it in the mail, thinking they got the deal of a lifetime on a washing machine or a living room carpet for five bucks.

Can't fight the stupid.

:faintthud:

Register for the picture framer's grumble

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
-Merged FRAMING TIPS posts in with THE GRUMBLE (General framing discussion), and eliminated FRAMING TIPS section.

-Renamed FRAMING EQUIPMENT and SOFTWARE SUPPORT forums with better descriptions, because a lot of people have been posting equipment questions on the main forum. Hopefullly it will be clearer that we have excellent dedicated resources for these important items.

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Looking good!

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
-Merged For Sale FEEDBACK forum contents in with FOR SALE forum, and purged FEEDBACK forum from the list.

-Moved COVID 19 DISCUSSIONS forum as a sub forum of BUSINESS ISSUES, and eventually the contents will be merged into business issues entirely. (once the COVID crisis has passed, some time next year)

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
-The support team has added a new interactive MAP feature that lets you see approximately where all of our members come from. For privacy reasons, the names are not shown and we have it within about 10 random miles of the actual locations. The map refreshes monthly, and represents only members with recent activity in the past 12 months. You can zoom in or out, or move around to see other countries, too.

You can find it under MEMBERS -> MEMBER MAP

Direct link:
1594564974346.png

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
That's cool , Mike.
Is there an explanation for the blue circles, the yellow circles, and the red balloons?
The colors represent different levels of concentration. Red pins are small amounts, blue are a higher concentration, yellow pins are an even higher concentration of framers on the G, etc. You can zoom in to see detail, too. (from the live LINK, not from the screenshot above)

Last edited:

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Nice. Thanks Mike.

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Nice. And fun!

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
It's there. Just zoom out 1 or 2 times.

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Hello Mike, I have a suggestion. For the advertisers/vendors why can't a separate Section be started like "The Grumble" or "Picture Framing Business Issues"
just showing our advertisers/vendors? Something like "Our Advertisers" or "Our Vendors" This section would have name, phone number, address, contact information (email, website, text#) and a short explanation of what their product is. I have looked for a couple of the advertisers and have had a hard time finding them with just the banners. It would just make it a little easier for us to be able to connect with the vendors/advertisers that support the Grumble and they would all be in one area. I would still suggest keeping them being shown by banners like now when we open a page but the it would be easier to find a specific one if they had their own section. Just a thought...

Last edited:

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
It's a great idea, we'll discuss it.

nikodeumus

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
The Members Map is really cool!
I love exploring maps of all kinds.
One question....how do I get on it?
I don't know if any of the other framers in my region are on the Grumble.

I guess 1 really is the loneliest number? 😢

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Anyone registered on this forum who has been active in the past 12 months is automatically on the members map, as a pin

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
You may have to zoom out to find your shop.

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I zoomed way out to find my name on the Google map - I'm not listed on the Members Map unless the one listed in Brooklyn Park Minnesota is me - that is within the 10 mile radius. I'm actually east of the Mississippi River in Blaine.

Last edited:

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
The support team configured it to blank out all the names and just show everyone as "private". We figured it might be a privacy concern for a person or two, so better to side with safety and keep it random and anonymous. The locations are also not exact, but should be within 1-10 miles. The locations are actually tracked/plotted by looking up each IP address, and then doing a location search based on the location of the IP. (not by what it says in profile) It looks everyone up again at the start of each month, and refreshes the map. It only looks at the past 365 days of activity, so folks who havent visited in more than 1 year will not be on the map.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
In looking at Framer's Online, I don't see a count of Anonymous Cowards Lurkers, something I recall in other forums. Do we just not have any Lurkers today or is that something we don't display. I always thought it was interesting to see how many Lurkers there were.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
We shut that off in March or so, and have since locked down most of the content so it requires registration. (not all, but most)

Peter Odems

Forum Donor
-The support team has added a new interactive MAP feature that lets you see approximately where all of our members come from. For privacy reasons, the names are not shown and we have it within about 10 random miles of the actual locations. The map refreshes monthly, and represents only members with recent activity in the past 12 months. You can zoom in or out, or move around to see other countries, too.

You can find it under MEMBERS -> MEMBER MAP

Direct link:
View attachment 34830
Hey.... where is I??? And how to ad a donation???

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Hey.... where is I??? And how to ad a donation???
Donate button should be up on top bar, as of 2 days ago (It's new)

You should be somewhere on this map, roughly :) The red and blue pins represent active grumblers.

1594754824932.png

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Ok... I tried to find my store which is in Ellsworth. The only red pin is about 20 mies away and best as I can tell, is in the water.

It doesn't have to be my exact location, but just a pin in Ellsworth would be nice.

Otherwise, really neat, thanks!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Fairpoint (Consolidated) ISP is reporting you as being on equipment in Portland, ME but located in Penobscot, ME.

Their records may be a bit off?

Your tack is likely in Penobscot.

Mike

Peter Odems

Forum Donor
Those are in heaven. ;)

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
The tack is in Blue Hill which is still in Hancock County.

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
So what happens if a Grumbler is using a VPN? When I remember to turn mine on, it usually plants me in Washington, DC.
It would show you as being in the location of the virtual private network. MANY proxies and VPNs are auto banned by the software, because that's what spammers generally use to evade bans. (so they get reported to central (known spammer) databases that forums and wordpress sites share)

nikodeumus

I zoomed in all the way. I'm in Comox (purple dot I added at top of map), the nearest indicator on the map is quite a distance away.
I'm on the G pretty much every weekday, and some weekends, so I meet that criteria.
It must be something to do with the ISP?

locate.jpg

Oh well, it's not a big deal.
I just want to be SPECIAL! 🤩
Just like everybody else! 🤣

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
It's not an exact forensic science, and only as good as that the ISP is reporting. Shaw reports you as being in Courtenay, BC

https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/70.67.152.3

Some ISPS get lazy and just put the next largest area where their local server is.

nikodeumus

It's not an exact forensic science, and only as good as that the ISP is reporting. Shaw reports you as being in Courtenay, BC

https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/70.67.152.3

Some ISPS get lazy and just put the next largest area where their local server is.
It's all good. I completely understand I was just being a little cheeky.
I think the map is very cool. It really makes the G feel even more like a community.
Keep up the amazing work!
Thanks to you and the whole team.