• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Great video if you haven't seen it

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Matthew Hale

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
1:15 ...it's actually quite difficult to buy, so we buy a WHOLE TREE which then gets cut for us... Love that! What a great peek behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Rick Hennen

True Grumbler
Featured Vendor
Business
Rian Fabrication Services
True Craftsman. I think about how long it would take to design and carve that molding using my CNC. I can not imagine doing it by hand. Would love to spend a month there.

Keith L Hewitt

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
Business
Mfg & exporting mat boards
Sonny ( aka Alan) just watched it twice, so much to take in. And its in my country.
Some of the stand out bits were

3 weeks to make one fully carved frame
They used screws today, instead of a bucket of nails when first made
The way the girl used her left hand o_O
We buy a tree from Italy and have it made into the size and length we require
The info about the gold leaf - fascinating
I have been to many national galleries in other countries, but I'm ashamed to say I've never been to the National Gallery in London.🤨🙄
Put it on the TO DO LIST

I will share this Video with my many friends around the world
Sonny, thanks for posting 😁

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

Sonny

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Keith I really cannot believe you have not been to the national gallery in London seeing as how you live in England. I am pretty sure it was Judy and my first stop when we got to London for our first FATG meeting years ago. Don't break my heart and tell me you have never been to the British Museum or the Victoria and Albert. I hope I just shamed you into going. You can stand in front of so many paintings you have only seen in books your whole life.

Keith L Hewitt

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
Business
Mfg & exporting mat boards
Alan, you have shamed me 🙄 . I have the National Gallery on my "To Do List". Happily have been to the others you mention.
This reminds me of my first visit to Barcelona. I arrived on a Sat and Sunday climbed to the top of the Christopher Columbus Monument at the bottom of Las Ramblas.
Monday morning visited my customer, who asked "What did you do Sunday" Climbed to the top of the Columbus tower. " Ive been living here for 55 years and have never been the the top..
But as I live here I know can do it anytime.