• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only

Glue for resin or fiberglass?

Mary Beth van der Horst

True Grumbler
I have a simple refitting I should have said no to. Woman brings in a mirror and its frame(probably a thriftstore find) and just needs it reinserted. It's round, and it seems to be made of some synthetic material like resin or fiberglass or some craziness. I can tell it is hollow--there are air gaps inside the rabbit. The other confounding thing is that the mirror sits in a false lip which isn't even--it ranges from 1/8-3/8". It's a trainwreck of a frame. I'm kindof nervous to put a screw into this stuff, but the original hanger is still screwed into the back panel. I'm pretty certain at this point that the mirror was just glued into place. It's got some weight to it however, so I'm a little nervous about what kind of glue will hold best. Not knowing exactly what type of material the frame was made out of makes it harder. Do you guys think an all-purpose caulking will work? Are there glues out there that are better for resin vs fiberglass? I know they are very different things but maybe can use similar adhesives?

20200928_094520.jpg

snafu

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Isn't it always the simple ones that turn into a giant pain in the a**.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Try out this site. It gives advice on adhesive compatibility.

That said, you can still return the piece to the owner and decline the job.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I think I would call the customer and apologize that you cannot do this and explain why it can't be done.
I would say something like, I won't charge you for the time I worked on this as I cannot complete this in a safe and secure way and guarantee the integrity of the frame and mirror.

Better to do that, then mess it up and make it your responsibility.

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202