Just try it, you don't need our permission.

Trying things is part of the cost of doing business. If you where a great big corporation, it would be called research and development. I wish I had a dime for every hair brained thing I have spent money on over the years.

Some of them did pay off though, like the Hoffmann Joiner, the inverted industrial pin router, Yes Paste, Tacky Glue. There are more, I'm sure, but it's late in the day, I'm tired.

When you try it out, let us, on The Grumble, know what you think.


From what I can see these bottles are based on the principle of “Wash Bottles” used in science laboratories……the principle of “Wash Bottles” is over 30 years old and is well tested method that works…….though I would question this method working with a viscous product such as glue……if I could buy locally here in Ireland I would give them a shot……

Wash Bottle
Where do you put the batteries? I'm skeptical of any new tool that doesn't use batteries - preferably NiMH rechargeable.

There was a Grumbler a while back promoting a specialty glue bottle and I have to ask, as I did then, Is getting glue from the bottle to the frame miters a special challenge? In other words, are these bottles a solution to a problem I'm not yet aware of?

I agree with JRB (and I have a bumper sticker that says exactly that.) Give 'em a try and let us know if they simplify your life. Every time I go to a good hardware or specialty tool store, I look for tools that solve a problem I didn't know I had. Sometimes they pay off big time.

At the moment, the best example I can think of is the Incra T-Rule:


P.S. John, according to Eric's contract, he DOES need our permission to try these out. Now that two of us have given it to him, in writing, he should be okay.
I would love to find the type of glue bottle/applicator that "Norm" uses on his "New Yankee Woodworking" show on PBS.

It's a small bottle w/ a wheel type applicator - "Norm" usually uses it for gluing up large (long) pieces of boards together - and I thought it would be great for joining frames - I'm tired of scraping glue off my fingertips!

Is anybody using this type of applicator or is it more trouble than it's worth?
Mike, I bought one at a regional building center (Menard's) that had a roller built-in. The roller was supposed to resist glue build-up but it was still nasty to keep clean for occasional use.

Might make sense for certain types of production work, though.
I personally wish they did have one that wouldn't clog up. But until they actually do,I use old Mustard squeeze bottles. They still clog but "ain't no big thing" to find the next one .

We are not big users of mustard in our household….....when you were in Ireland we had a twist top bottle of mustard in the fridge…..about 4 months ago I dumped the contents of that same bottle and started to use it for my glue…..that was a great tip you gave me ……….it would have been even better if I had taken you up on it sooner……..I can be a bit slow on the up take some times…
Is getting glue from the bottle to the frame miters a special challenge? In other words, are these bottles a solution to a problem I'm not yet aware of?
It's not that. It's the time wasted unclogging the bottle tip. I'm perfectly happy with the bottle that Corner Weld comes in. I just wish they made a Teflon tip for it, to which glue would not adhere. I doubt I would be inclined to use a bottle as bulky as the one Eric is asking about, but there is another product on that company's site that could work, It's called the
I hope the pin is stainless steel, though. I tried to implement this idea a few years ago by sticking a nail thru the cap, but it rusted pretty quickly. Yuck.
BTW, Ron, all of those measuring and marking devices sold by Incra are great, aren't they? Love 'em.
:cool: Rick
I have been using a small rubberlike plastic tip cover that looks like a small red condom. It works on all glue bottles and even on caulking tubes. It rolls on (and off) and keeps the air out. I never have to clear out dried glue.
I have tried the Glu-Bot...the thing works in principle, but the tip still clogs like all the rest. I agree with Rick...the Corner Weld bottle is as good as any. Al E...where do you get that red flexible plastic tip you are using?

If you use a standard round-hole glue tip, when it clogs up you can screw a drywall screw (small shank, large threads) in the end and pull the clump out of the end.
Those bottles can also be found at Lee
Valley and they come with detachable nozzles
that can be changed out and soaked clean.
Nozzles and caps can be bought separately. The
best thing about them is their accuracy of
application and the fact that they truely are

Al...Thanks for the info on the red tips...I'll give'em a try!

David...Great idea on the dry wall screw...I've been using a small finishing nail to pry out the dry glue from the tip, but that tears the tip up eventually. Thanks!

The trick with the mustard bottle is to keep it pointy side down when not in use.

It's a fairly simple matter to make a holder so that the tip of the nozzle sits in a countersunk hole which has been strategically drilled in a flat wooden base.

This works a treat and we have two of them in our workshop. We fill them with white PVA glue and have never had one clog yet, though the maximum idle time has only been about 2 weeks.