• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Glazing Coating Q- Is there a right and wrong side to TruVue Glazing

picture framing clamps by MasterClamp 2021

chelsee

Grumbler in Training
If your using a large sheet of conservation clear glazing and end up using then entire side with the wording which tells you which way faces artwork....is there a way to tell on the scrap piece which side needs to face the artwork? Or does the uv protectant coating work regardless of what side faces out???

Rick Granick

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
The protectant will work either way, but you don't want to try to cut the coated side of CC glass. It will not cut cleanly, and will ruin your cutter wheel. I can tell the coated side just by feel. (It is softer/smoother than the uncoated side) but you can test it by scratching the surface with the corner of a razor blade near the edge. If it won't scratch, that's the uncoated side. If it will scratch, that is the coating.
:cool: Rick

IFGL

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
The protectant will work either way, but you don't want to try to cut the coated side of CC glass. It will not cut cleanly, and will ruin your cutter wheel. I can tell the coated side just by feel. (It is softer/smoother than the uncoated side) but you can test it by scratching the surface with the corner of a razor blade near the edge. If it won't scratch, that's the uncoated side. If it will scratch, that is the coating.
Just to add a little, the coated side faces the artwork because it's more prone to getting scratched.

tedh

Business
Canal Gallery
Rick's method works every time. Even an old Wizard blade will work. A scratched line parallel to the edge of the glass will do. You can tell if it's UV glass by the orange peel ripples, and when it does not leave a scratch, you then have the outside surface.

Rick Granick

Right. The coated side "grips" the blade with its friction, produces a scratch, and makes a "ssssh" sound. The plain glass side that faces away from the art does not scratch and makes no noise.

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Of course if you are using CC acrylic, no need to figure out which side is which.

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Business
death star driver
Whenever I cut a piece and lose the words, i mark the art side with an erasable marker.

Comes right off when cleaning.

IFGL

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Whenever I cut a piece and lose the words, i mark the art side with an erasable marker.

Comes right off when cleaning.
bet you still test it with a blade when you come to use it, just in case?

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only

Dave

I always use the scratch test. In the past I've had several occurrences where TruVue somehow printed the words on the wrong side of the glass.

Rick Granick

I use the scratch test occasionally, but only when my "spider sense" is not at full power and the "feel test" doesn't seem conclusive.
:rolleyes: Rick

Jim Miller

Forum Donor
Featured Vendor Forum Sponsor
So long as you cut your Conservation glass consistently on the non-coated side, you can always tell at a glance which side to cut by looking at a cut edge:

Photo-Glass-CUT THIS SIDE-A.jpg
This photo was made after using a very dull glass cutter to emphasize the ruffles on the side that was cut, but this is a way you can always tell which side has been previously cut.

Exception: Once in a while, Tru Vue will box a few lites that have been cut on the wrong side. In that case, the scratch method still works.

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only