glass mattes

I used to do them, too. And actually I've been thinking about putting up an old sample I have using a glass mat for customers to see. Like the saying goes, 'everything old is new again' or something like that, I thought I might see if people would like it that have never seen it before. A couple of 1/4" gold leaf lines on a painted background would be something different.

P3230004.jpg

Ellen Collins from Howards in Hagerstown

She has taught a course at the PPFA convention for the past few years on glass mats.

Linda Wassell (sp ?) also teaches a class on glass mats.

I've taken the class. It's very doable, and fun (in my estimation). I believe one or two of the gold leaf frame makers will also make them.

Funny. I was just talking about glass mats today with someone. I do maybe one a year or so is all. I like to use plexiglas instead of glass. The plexi comes premasked and allows you to layout your deign on the masking and cut and peel the areas to be painted. Saves a ton of time.

No offense, but I always thought they looked cheap. Years ago, some department store art used to have printed "mats" and other borders right on the glass. Remember the art isle in k-mart?
vomit.gif

John

No offense back at you - but if you thought they looked cheap I'd hazard a guess you weren't looking at the real deal.

I'll grant that what you described - border printed on the glass - does indeed look cheap and cheesy. But hand made glass mats in the classic black and gold combination look (in my estimation) rich and elegant.

Didn't the one of the winners of the PPFA paint brush competition have etched glass? I would love to learn how to do that. I don't think that the big boxes offer these on a regular basis.

susang, I think John Ranes III teaches that class. Same basic process as doing a french mat on glass.

Now I'm waiting for a framer to come to show with a "Glue Chipped" panel....that will get my vote.

and if they chipped it on Museum, I'll vote twice.

Etched glass: WE know of a guy who does this and sells it as art..Does absolutely beautiful work, but doesn't have a lick of common senses about him.I haven't a clue what the point of this story is except to say that the mention of it brought to mind this guy. Tape it off and pour acid onto the parts that aren't taped..Simple to say but not quite that simple to do..Can use vaseline on the glass as well to help prevent the acid from etching.

""...could someone explain what a "glass mat" is?""

It is not a separate mat, but is painted on the reverse of the glass, to provide the visual effect of matting (in the picture MarkyW posted, the green is actually green paint under the glass). Gold leaf lines (and sometimes decoration) can also be incorporated. On early needleworks (ca. 1800) they these were popular and may also include titles, names and dates, etc. They were also used for framed prints.
Original and well done ones are very elegant when used appropriately; there are later mass-produced versions (probably just silk-screened on glass) thay may not look as nice.

Seems like a lot of work and supplies. the cost would be high with labor and goods. is it worth the time? Of couse the glass would have to be spaced off the art work, would you put the glass on original art or only prints? Too arduous!
icon45.gif

Back