• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

Question Gaps in corners of picture frames

Joseph Dawson

Grumbler in Training
We use two DeWalt miter saws to cut our frames and they have special blades to cut molding in them. We have been having a problem with gaps in the middle of the joint no matter how hard we press the corner together. The gap is only on the top face of the corner and not all the way through. This only happens on our flat molding and is not much of an issue on different kinds. We think it might be a problem with the saws but don't know how to adjust them. What can we do to fix this? Any help with this would be much appreciated.
20200507_160129.jpg 20200507_160116.jpg

Last edited:

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
It could be many things. More info is need to properly diagnose this.

It could be because of the saw, the blades or the joiner. Things to check.

Is the cut perfectly vertical? When you put your engineering square against the cut, is it perfectly vertical?

What are these "special blades" to cut moulding? Are they a thin kerf home center special or are they reputable blades for picture frame? Make and Model please? Thin kerf or no?

Is the fence on your joiner perfectly vertical? Use your engineering square to check this.

This is enough to get you started. Check these things and report back.

You may have checked these things already but since you didn't mention any checks you have done I use this as a starting point.

Tom1234

Grumbler
Have you checked to make sure the blade is not slightly warped? Any wobble will produce cuts like that. Even with a new blade, I check for runout with my dial indicator (DO NOT run the saw at full speed, just spin the blade on the arbor by hand). I have found even new blades can be slightly warped. Good luck.

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I believe it is the blades from the looks of the cut and the gap at the outside and inside but perfect in the center. I'm no a real fan of DeWalt because they seem to have a little more play in the bearings, I use a DeWalt for my home projects, but it should not be leaving that much of a gap if the blades are good. I suggest sending your blades into Quinn Saw and having the blades trued to make sure they are flat, balanced, and then sharpened. It is also a possibility you have the wrong angle on the teeth of the blade, if they are off the shelf blades from your local ACE Hardware or Home Depot they really aren't for our type of frame mouldings. Quinn Saw will be able to steer you in the right direction and do the necessary correction if it is in the blades. They also carry some of the best blades you can buy at a very reasonable price. You could also get yourself a good sander if the problem continues.

W.D. Quinn Saw Co.
1111 Belgrove Drive
Saint Louis, MO 63137

info@quinnsaw.com
314-869-5353

Last edited:
Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Tom1234

Grumbler
Joe, I wish I could have stated it as well as you. I use a DeWalt compound miter saw at home too and I noticed early on that not all blades were created equal. Great response Joe.

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
The problem may be the blades, or the vertical alignment of your saw, or maybe the way the moulding is held during cutting. Be sure to clamp or hold the rails tightly during cutting, because any movement could result in a poor cut and a common problem is that the spinning blade tends to push the moulding away. Dull blades aggravate the problem.

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
What they all said, and Welcome to the Grumble!

Even with newer sharp blades if they aren't sharpened correctly for mitering, or are thin kerf blades, they could be deflecting slightly at the point of contact.

You've gotten some good advice, let us know how it goes.

dpframing

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
If you get tired of trying to find the problem (probably a warped blade making the kerf cut wider), you can solve it after the cut
by getting a GOOD miter sander (ITW-AMP) before you join. I have one for sale.

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

prospero

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Make sure the blades are up to speed before you plunge the cut. And as previously mentioned,
make sure the moulding can't move as you cut.

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC