Fun With Clamps

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Here, the mighty framer wields his clamps. (His wife thinks the tiny ones are cute.)

framing image 3623 (2) stained glass moulding.jpg

This is a sign on quarter-inch thick glass, being reframed in stained glass moulding.

Well that's O.K. then. I was picturing something totally different. I'm glad you kept the discussion family friendly.

Here, the mighty framer wields his clamps. (His wife thinks the tiny ones are cute.)

Speaking of the mighty framer, where is Dirk? He hasn't posted anything since January 26. Do you have him locked in a cage in the basement building frames?

We need proof of life. Post a picture of him holding today's newspaper or the Cookie Monster is going to pay you a visit.

Speaking of the mighty framer, where is Dirk? He hasn't posted anything since January 26. Do you have him locked in a cage in the basement building frames?

We need proof of life. Post a picture of him holding today's newspaper or the Cookie Monster is going to pay you a visit.

What? Seeing his hands isn't enough? I even showed half of the zipper on his hickory shirt.

I admit, he is rather laconic on here, but he visits fairly often. I showed him this thread earlier, to see your clamps,
and he said, 'Wow! Geez!', then laughed. After which, he said, 'I think I need to buy more clamps.' I asked if this
meant he said he wants to go shopping, and he denied it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

OK, you dodged a bullet.............cookie.

Now, we're sad. We could have had a cookie, and we don't.

This photo is from our first try at the job. Later, a tiny framing tragedy happened, so we got a new one.
When I called the ladies to tell them, they decided to change color. (Frame color, that is.)

So, here's a question. When you join U-channel moulding, do you use nails or screws? The folks who started me in framing used glue and screws, filling in over screw heads. That way, if the glass ever broke, the frame could be easily disassembled.
This morning, I asked another framer, who said he drills, then pin nails with a nail slightly larger than the hole. What do you do? And while we're here, what do you use for hanging from the top? I know what we do, but how about you?

I glue and v-nail the sides and bottom rail, but just put screws in from the top, colored to match. It's easy to open and the top is normally not visible. I use the screw eyes that I posted in the other thread if the frame isn't too big. Heavier items like stained glass usually work with a (decorative) chain to the top corners.

I glue and v-nail the sides and bottom rail, but just put screws in from the top, colored to match. It's easy to open and the top is normally not visible. I use the screw eyes that I posted in the other thread if the frame isn't too big. Heavier items like stained glass usually work with a (decorative) chain to the top corners.

Do you know where to get those chain holders that are inset into the wood, where the chain just looks like it's coming out of the frame? We had a smaller, two-sided frame in last year that had one, and it looked sweet*.

* (or phat, or bad, or sick...whatever means 'appealing' nowadays)

We use a couple different types from Delphi Stained Glass Supplies.

We nail the bottom corners and drill and screw the top corners.

And back to clamps ... what is your preferred choice in parallel clamps? It's high time, around here, to ditch the pipe clamps and join the twenty-first century.

And back to clamps ... what is your preferred choice in parallel clamps? It's high time, around here, to ditch the pipe clamps and join the twenty-first century.

Not everything needs to join the 21st century. Pipe clamps are fine in my book. I have pipe clamps and I also have some of the ones pictured below and bunches of smaller clamps in just about every variety.

One advantage to pipe clamps: They can be as long as you have pipe. Handy when you re-frame that old master that is 16 by 20 feet.

13f3524s3.jpg

One clamp that I don't have is these:

jet_clamps.jpg

They look interesting. If I was still doing a bunch of wood working, I would probably find an excuse to buy some.

Are those the Jet parallel clamps? When I tried even light pressure on the pipe clamps when assembling the stained glass moulding, the clamp faces did not remain parallel and imparted an angular force on the moulding, causing the face of the miter to deviate from flat. Just wanted to prevent shifting when drilling pilot holes.

Do you guys use one screw/nail in each corner, or two? And are they parallel, or perpendicular, to one another?

And here you had me thinking that Sheldon Cooper had given up physics to take up phraming.

sheldon.jpg

My favorite part about when he clamps frames is calling him Jed.

My favorite part about when he clamps frames is calling him Jed.
everytime i peruse the rockler catalog (which is more frequently than i'd like to admit) i run across this and start humming the theme song from beverly hillbillies...

Back