Framing Plastery Oversize Wallpaper

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Customer called with a 4 x 6' sheet of wallpaper that she wants framed. Says it has 'plaster' on the front, that's falling off, but they still want to frame it. I've looked up a thread here about mounting oversize wallpaper, and see that ACM was suggested. What I'm wonder is, when the item being mounted has a bunch of clumpy, fragile stuff on the front, what would you do? A few times, when mounting small, cheap acrylics on canvas (with 1) no extra border and 2) thick blobs of paint), using acrylic gel, I've topped the paintings with pieces of that white =, flexible 'foamy' plastic packing material that's about 1/4" thick, and soft. I cut holes in the places where the blobs were, to give them space, and built the foam as high as needed, before laying on weights for drying. But, this sounds more complicated. And I know it's likely that chunks would still come off after framing, even if the paper itself is well-attached. Which has me wondering, what would work to adhere them better so they don't fall off? I know this is something for a conservator, but she's coming in today, and I want to be able to explain it.

Nikodeumus

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Also no help...
Yeah, that sounds like a big logistical nightmare I wouldn't want to take on either.
I always tell people, "I frame what you bring me in the condition it is in. I do not do anything to alter or "finish" items that are not prepared for framing".
Let us know how your discussion with the customer goes.
I'm curious what their expectations are and what you are able to provide them.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Also no help...
Yeah, that sounds like a big logistical nightmare I wouldn't want to take on either.
I always tell people, "I frame what you bring me in the condition it is in. I do not do anything to alter or "finish" items that are not prepared for framing".
Let us know how your discussion with the customer goes.
I'm curious what their expectations are and what you are able to provide them.
I told her it would cost at least $1500.00, and she said she'd bring in a section today to show me. Hopefully, she decided to do something else.