framing-irrelevant question

Orton

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Founding Member
I took some time out from work, sat down in front of the TV for a few minutes and watched a sociology program addressing different issues in the State of Nevada. . . whereupon I heard the state's name pronounced as Nev-ay-dah!

I was taught Nev-aw-da. A collegue in Texas pronounces it Nev-ah-dah, as does a relative in D.C.

So, which is it? Nev-ay-dah? or Nev-ah-dah? or Nev-aw-da?

Won't be able to sleep until I know the answer to this one.

Orton

I'd pronounce it Ne-vah-da, as in open your mouth and say Ah. But surely one of our Grumblers is from that state and will enlighten us. We always know who isn't from this area because they say we're living in Missour-ee. We actually live in Ma-zer-uh.

But then my grandfather lived near Bolivia, Illinois and called it Bolivee, so what do I know from it?
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by MerpsMom (edited October 25, 2000).]

Nev-ah-dah.
Midwesterner living in TN.

I lived in Vegas for three years back in the seventies. It was ALWAYS pronounced Nev - ah - da. I never once heard anyone call it Nev-ay - da
John

It can also be pronounced Nev-a'-duh, with the 'a' as in apple. (Being raised in the West, that was the most common pronunciation I heard)

The pronunciation you mention, Orton, probably originated with someone who goes to ro-day-ohs.

I live way, way down here in south east Louisiana (60 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico). When I watch the news, New Orleans is pronounced "N'awlins" by most newsmen... the ones that were born and raised in New Orleans. Check out these Louisiana "Boudreaux and Thibodaux" jokes: http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/7245/jokes/bjokes.html

[This message has been edited by ajhohen (edited October 26, 2000).]

Here in Maryland, we have the same problem with how to pronounce names.
Maryland = Mar-lnd
Baltimore = Ball-mer
Washington DC. = Warsh-in-ton

(And we wonder why other people don't understand us.)
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Sue May :)
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest can over come it!"

Cleveland here; It's neither Ohio nor Ahia. It has been Ohia, though, and I have heard Ahio. We just call it 'home'.

Now, Michigan - - that's got alot of names. Especially if you're from home. Woody Hayes would just call it 'that state up north'

MM, I thought that was only the uneducated who said Ma zer uh!
smile.gif
Just kidding ya 'll. In SD Pierre is pier or peer.

I belive we say Ne vah da!

------------------
Knowledge is to be shared!

[This message has been edited by JPete (edited October 26, 2000).]

I may be the closest Grumbler, so far anyway, to Nev - a' - duh (a as in apple). Any other pronunciation is like saying O - ree - gone', instead of Or'-i-gun (just skimming over that i).

Yessiree........brings to mind the corncob pipe and dungarees. My favorite card in all the decade is one that says "Happy Birthday. You're not truly old until you start doing things like your parents. Sadly, that thought occurred to me as I was driving 35 in a 65 m.p.h. zone, sitting way down in the seat, listening to radio farm reports, checking the dashboard compass, and making a quiet, little chewing sound."

Strummin' the strains of Deliverance, DaisyMae signin' off.
smile.gif

(I love threads like this: it gives me a break from all the finish/delivery/out-of-stock garbola I'm dealing with this week.)

Whenever I watch a movie or television show based in New England, I can always tell if the actors did their homework. Many of us do not sound as if we are from Boston (a popular misconception), most say "idear" instead of "idea", and Quincy is pronounced "Quinzy". I always thought David Ogden Stiers did a good job on "M.A.S.H.".

cfkane: glad to see you mention "Woody". I played for "Woody" back in the old days when "3 yards and a cloud of dust" ment somthing. But I digress, Woody used a little stronger terminology for "that state uo north" ( not suitable for print). By the way Michigan Week was known as **** week at practice!!!

Then there's the story about woody and his assistant coach who would drive 'up there' for the game and return the same day. One year the assistant tried to gas up while still in michigan. Woody "insisted" he continue to drive to the border, as he wasn't about to spend any money in that place.

The assistant coasted, gasless, into the first station across the Ohio border.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lance E:
Hey Osgood, hows the weather at your place?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
G'day Lance E,
Its a bit funny over here, cool and wet today. What's it like over there?

Are you the only one left in the Land of the Long White Cloud? There were a lot of Kiwis over here at an 80'th birthday party on saturday night.

(Have you noticed that the northern hemisphere people go on with a lot of drivel? I spose they know what they are talking about!) ;o)

To true, sometimes they just go on and on and on and on...

This morning the sun is out doing it's thing, and darn it all I have to go and play golf for a charity fundraiser, hard yakka but someone has to do it.

It's good to hear that you are mixing with a few Kiwi's, that should tidy your act up a bit.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lance E:
This morning the sun is out doing it's thing, and darn it all I have to go and play golf for a charity fundraiser, hard yakka but someone has to do it.

It's good to hear that you are mixing with a few Kiwi's, that should tidy your act up a bit.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you get time to play golf midweek? I play saturday, but really need to play six more days a week so that I can improve. Perhaps we could play together sometime?

Yeah well, I have no choice about mixing with Kiwi's, almost all of them are over here now on our dole. I have to work ten times as hard to provide enough taxes so they can live here. Maybe thats why you are able to play golf midweek, there's nobody left over there to be your customers!

Ok you too... Start your own thread!
biggrin.gif

Lance, how was the golf? Did you do good? (Frame the score card!)

------------------
Sue May :)
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest can over come it!"

Hey, Acecraftframes! My husband is the Red Sox fan; I call them the Red Sucks. I don't follow team sports. It is just too hard to be a fan of any New England team.

Hands up all those of you that are jealous, I'm playing again tommorow, then on Saturday as well.

As for framing my score card, that would just be a waste of framing materials, my score hardly fits on the card!

Osgood, you haven't got them all yet. For those unaware there was once a great comment made by a former PM of NZ "those leaving NZ for Australia raise the IQ average of both countries".

Enough of this golf talk. Being a tee-it-up fanatic, it's hard for me to stay inside working when it's 75 and gorgeous here for days on end. Isn't anyone else chained to the shop right now?

Back to the irrelevant subject, for just a moment....I haven't visited the grumble for a week or so and so I didn't answer sooner, but Mel and Po' Framer are right on how us'n gol dern westerners pronounce the state of Nevada. "A" as in apple. And I am sure looking forward to that 4 hour drive in January when I am going to Las Vegas to the frame conference. At least there is a light at the end of the 2 month tunnel. Yes, MM, the season has begun. I wish there was an extra hour or so in the day every day.

By the way, I lived about ten miles from where Mr. Marriott grew up. There is a very small town in Utah called Marriottville that his family must have settled. We call it Merry-ut. It was very strange when I went to Washington DC some years back and everyone said Mah-re-aht. I say tomato and you say tomahto, I say Nevada and you say Nevahda. Y'all must be very sophistocated.

[This message has been edited by P. Christensen (edited November 02, 2000).]

You really can tell the folks who aren't from around here.

They usually pronounce L A as Lohs Angeleeze.

Wilshire (Wilshure) Boulevard as Wil-shire (like tire).

Tujunga (Tahunga) as Ta-jun-a-ga.

Caheunga: don't even ask.

Back