• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Framing Hanging Textiles

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
A customer has a vintage souvenir hand towel from a presidential home, and I'm debating whether to hang it from a towel bar in a shadowbox, or to do something simpler. Seems that a towel bar would require a lot of depth, to allow for both the front, and the screws in the back. For those of you who have framed items hanging from bars (or scrolls, or anything that needs strong support, with a free-hanging item, what did you use?

Secondly, how much added structure is considered acceptable for framing collectible textiles? It seems that adding anything, even a fabric pocket along the back top for a support bar, would be altering it too much. Perhaps she'll take a direct contact overlay, but something that looks free-hanging seems more appealing.

manny costa

Grumbler in Training
if a towel rack its desired, i'd create the frame in the follwing order. glass/spacers/4ply/foamcore/woodstrainer @ 1/2''. i'd then include a straping within the strainer in the area where the t

nikodeumus

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
if a towel rack its desired, i'd create the frame in the follwing order. glass/spacers/4ply/foamcore/woodstrainer @ 1/2''. i'd then include a straping within the strainer in the area where the t
Hi Manny, Glad to see a new person with your first post. Welcome :)
However, your post just stops mid-sentence.
We'd all like to see the rest of your thoughts on this topic.

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Hi, Manny! Welcome to the Grumble. :)

Thanks for posting, and feel free to add to it at your convenience.

manny costa

Grumbler in Training
hi! sorry about that.... i sent my message premature by mistake! lets try this again.

if a towel rack is desired, and you're dealing with some weight concerns... i'd create the frame in the following layering order.

frame
glass
wide spacers
4ply
foam core
wood strainer with horizontal strapping

within the strainer, a vertical strip of strapping would be fixed in place where the location of the rack will be placed
however, this may be over the top if weight is not an issue.
i think the main concern is trying to bolt on anything to foam core backing where it may compress on you. even with washers...
so another thing that could be done is to add a small square piece of mat board onto the back of the foam core in two areas the towel rack will be bolted. if you have extra 8ply off cuts I'd use that.

ultimately, when dealing with textile art or unstretched canvases. in most cases i keep things simple and hand thread in the same manner as hinging.

hope this helps and best of luck with the project!

-manny

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I haven't done this, but it might work.

Instead of using a rod, use an acrylic bar with small rare earth magnets painted to match the fabric. If you added a layer of ragboard, the magnets would not come in direct contact with the fabric.

nikodeumus

I have only done one textile item to be free-hanging in a frame package.
I had a different problem.

The customer wanted to see both sides of the hand made purse of her great grandmothers, from the early 1900's I believe.
She wanted to use the red yarn, for sentimental reasons.

I designed a desktop/mantle case, rather than a hanging frame.
Kept as simple as I could, her budget was not high enough to do a fully archival treatment.
I believe I at least met the criteria of doing no harm to the item and being able to remove it easily if required.
If budget weren't an issue there are a number of things I would have done differently.
But, the client was very pleased.

Here's some pics....

IMG_1085.JPG IMG_1098.JPG IMG_1099.JPG IMG_1129.JPG

nikodeumus

Shayla, could you suspend the towel from the top, similarily to my sample, rather than draping it over a bar?

nikodeumus

i think the main concern is trying to bolt on anything to foam core backing where it may compress on you. even with washers...
so another thing that could be done is to add a small square piece of mat board onto the back of the foam core in two areas the towel rack will be bolted. if you have extra 8ply off cuts I'd use that.
I have done exactly what you described.
I mounted 5 Playstation controllers by cutting wooden wedges that fight tightly into a slot (i think for some kind of cartridge?) on the back of the controllers.
Then screwed into the wooden block through the back of the decorative mat and backer, using additional mat pieces and washers, to reduce the compression of the foam.
Worked great :thumbsup:

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.