Framing finish tecnique?


Dec 26, 2005
Philipsburg, Montana
After reading the stuff about Grumblers in training I best start with a short intro. My name is Jeff Nobles. I am from Philipsburg Mt. The name of our shop is The Hole in the Floor(because of the rope pulled elevator.) I have been a professional artist for quite a few years dealing primarily in the historic western subject matter. Because of my line of intrest I could find no frames truly appropriate. I spent the last three years researching, carving and developing a line of composition aimed at some specialized fields of art. About the same time I also aquired all the equiptment needed for matting and framing (bought out a merging frame shop)and started framing for fellow artists. A few months ago the opportunity came along to manage the gallery we are now in. So the natural progression to offer framing services to the public. My wife has just finished a private worksop with a long time high end framer. I or we are complete novis' at framing. Reading the grumble is extremely helpfull and would like top thank you all.
Now the question. I use primafily shellac for my frame finishes. I have seen some incredible finishes with what looks to be some sort of masking with a stain applied over the mask. can anyone tell me if this can be optained by use of frisket, a wax or is there some kind of computer generated stencil? Thanks again for all the online education. Jeff
Jeff, welcome to the grumble! Don't worry i won't look at your profile. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sorry I can not answer this kwestion, but I am sure someone like Baer will see this and help you out. He is great with all knowledge as well as wood working.

Patrick Leeland
Hi Jeff,
I use an air brush for a lot of my customised frame work, masking using low tack tape. Colouring is done using acrylic artists or airbrush paint suitably thinned, so I think frisket would work fine. I also use brass stencils and embossing paste (the stuff used by scrap bookers.) for fine relief work.
I use acrylic gesso sprayed, as a base coat on bare wood, and final finish is a couple of coats of polyurethane varnish followed by a final buffing with a good quality wax.
I also use a larger touch up gun for the gesso and final finish on larger frames.
Hope this helps
Thanks for the welcome Patrick, and thanks for all trhe information Mick.
It appears that sooner or later any frame will meet its buyer.
Patrick, aren't you sorry for not taking up Mick's nice and different line? Nice and different have always been synonims for success in our industry. C'mon, put your money where your heart is.
Jeff, welcome. What you describe reminds me of what is generally called Sgraffito. (sp?) I know just enough to know not to try to tell you how it is done. Could you post a picture or a link to a picture? There are so many techniques that could be described the way you did, it would help if we had a more definitive idea what you are after.
I was thinking the same Cliff.

Jeff, if you're thinking sgraffito
sgraffitoed frame

then you're talking about under color[leaf] 3-4 coats of shellac that are allowed to harden completely [week or 2], a casein wash that is "scratched" back to the under color in the pattern.

There are many finishing tricks and Rockler has many books to sit at your bedside for years..

"Time" is the one thing that only "experience" can buy. or visa versa.

I also just had a thought. ALL of the modern moulding finishes are "applied"; meaning that the finish is put on and not removed.

Many of the old fine finishes were applied and then partially removed either intentionally or though wear or deterioration. To replicate that "glow", one must apply and remove. As an old master once showed and told me... "it's not what you put on, but what and how you take it off."
Thanks a bunch, the sgraffito frames linked do look a lot like what I was thinking. I'll do some more reading and experminting. Jeff