• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Opinions Wanted Framing a Saxophone

Dave

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
I have a beautiful vintage silver Beuscher saxophone a customer wants shadowboxed in such a way that it would be removable.

This is my plan and I am very open for any suggestions others might have. I'm in the process of quoting it right now.

Flangged acrylic box using Direct Moulding #450904: http://direct-moulding.com/product/450904/

Cross hatching polyflute board and covering it with black anti-tarnish fabric: https://smile.amazon.com/Anti-Tarni...521736711&sr=8-1&keywords=black+tarnish+cloth

Bent rod supports anchored in polyflute at two points to support the sax. There also will be a silver nameplate in the box identifying that it was their uncle's sax.

The customer would prefer to swing open the door with the acrylic box instead of having to remove it with a slip over frame arrangement so I planned on using a black piano hinge along the left side where it won't be seen due to it's placement in their home. This would necessitate having another black frame behind the DM frame to attach both the substrate and the piano hinge. Overall size is about 26" W x 32" H and 7" D.

I'd hold the acrylic box in the front frame with quarter rounds painted black.

Specific questions:

1.) Has anyone here ever worked with the black anti-tarnish cloth. Would I be able to mount it using Frank's Fabric Adhesive just like any other fabric? I'd actually like to give it that drapery look but not sure how to do that.

2.) Any other suggestions as far as hinging the front frame and acrylic box? I'm thinking of recessing a couple rare earth magnets to keep the front closed and also relieve some pressure on the piano hinge. I've also thought of asking the customer if they'd rather have it hinged at the top so you'd lift up the front instead of having it open to the side. Less stress on the hinge and likely not as visible.

All comments, questions and even snide remarks are welcome.

Thank you.

Last edited:

artfolio

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
As regards mounting the sax, there are stands which musicians use to hold them on stage and if uncle had one it could be a ready made mounting solution with a couple of added clips or ties.

alacrity8

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
I'm curious as to why you are using an acrylic box inside a shadowbox frame.
Wouldn't just the frame with acrylic glazing do the job?

Brian

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I'm curious as to why you are using an acrylic box inside a shadowbox frame.
Wouldn't just the frame with acrylic glazing do the job?

Brian

The rabbit on that frame is only 1/2". Unless they run a road grader over the sax it will be a tad too thick for that frame by itself.

Rick Granick

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
I assume he means what my acrylic fabricator calls an "extender box", which has a 3/16" flange around the edge of the open back. This engages in the frame where the glass would usually be, allowing use of a shallow-rabbet frame with an acrylic box of any depth. This gives maximum style choice along with maximum visibility of the contents.
:cool: Rick

Radio.jpg

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I assume he means what my acrylic fabricator calls an "extender box", which has a 3/16" flange around the edge of the open back. This engages in the frame where the glass would usually be, allowing use of a shallow-rabbet frame with an acrylic box of any depth. This gives maximum style choice along with maximum visibility of the contents.

View attachment 28776
I builts me one of those when I was a wee lad. The radio, not the frame. Framing came a bit later.

Jim Sampson

True Grumbler

View attachment 28776
Rick. Could I ask where to buy these extender boxes? Thank you

David Waldmann

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
2.) Any other suggestions as far as hinging the front frame and acrylic box? I'm thinking of recessing a couple rare earth magnets to keep the front closed and also relieve some pressure on the piano hinge. I've also thought of asking the customer if they'd rather have it hinged at the top so you'd lift up the front instead of having it open to the side. Less stress on the hinge and likely not as visible.
The problem with hinging at the top is that to use it you need to either hold the door open while you remove and replace the instrument (which I would not want the customer to have to do), OR include some type of prop rod/lift arm and I don't think you could feasibly do that and make it look "good" (no reflection on your talents).

My suggestion is to do exactly as you said - hinge on the edge and rare earth magnets to hold it closed. Two thoughts:
  • Hinges are made for doors and designed for that type of stress. I realize that piano hinges are not generally used for that, but why not use regular hinges?
  • If you want to use a piano hinge and are afraid it's not strong enough, set up your rare earth magnets so that they protrude 1/4" or so on one piece (frame or door) and the other piece have them recessed that same 1/4". That will provide a place for that side of the door to "rest" and minimize the stress on the hinge. Of course you will need to use RE magnets that are long enough, probably a half inch or so would do.

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I really like the design you described.

I did not know that anti-tarnish cloth was available in black. That is good to know. But still, warn the customer that an older instrument like that will still require periodic cleaning. I think the depth of the instrument and the intricacies of the keys will keep the cloth from being 100% effective. But it will make a big difference!

It may not be what the customer wants, but if that cleaning is a problem, it could be minimized by having a musical instrument store recondition it and replace the lacquer.

Framar

WOW Framer
I have bought anti-tarnish cloth directly from Nancy's. Good company - maybe better for them if you buy directly?

The cloth would probably mount with Frank's but why not stretch it and pin it around the edge onto a sheet of foam board which could then be adhered with double-stick tape to the polyflute. It is a really nice fabric to work with.

Also - it would be totally cool to include a photo of the uncle playing this sax.

Sounds like a fun job!