Framing a Notebook Sketch?

yesiam

Grumbler in Training
Business
yesiam
Hi all

I'd like nicely frame my wife's brother's notepad sketches who passed away. I was thinking somehow I would/could scan the notepad and then frame them.
It's a smaller notepad, about 8" x 5" or so. So something more of a desktop vs poster size, but am open to grand ideas.

Really out of my depth here. Is scanning a bad idea or should I try for the original?

Any sort of direction to take or suggest?

Thanks in advance!

I suppose how you proceed depends on what kind of paper and what kind of media was used to make the sketches. Ballpoint pen on newsprint? Definitely scan. Pencil on 100% rag paper? Those could be framed as is. If you do decide on scanning, have them done by a professional with really good equipment - most home printers/scanners are not that great.

In any case, be sure and ask for UV blocking glass.

Hi yesiam, welcome to The Grumble.

I would have every drawing in the book scanned.
Don't remove the pages from the binding if possible.
They can also be photographed if the book is bound in a way that makes flat scanning difficult.
As Framar says, have them done by a professional, they will know the techniques and requirements for quality reproduction.

Frame the scanned reproductions.
Keep the original book safely stored away for long term family memorabilia to be taken out and looked at on special occasions.
Perhaps to be handed down to future generations?

More copies can always be remade from the scans if anyone else in the family wants their own to have.
Also, if the unforseen happens and the framed original is damaged, well then that's it, no more artwork.
Preserving the original sketch book as is, in conjunction with digitizing it, will ensure your family members artwork will remain with the family for a very long time.

You could also have the scanned sketches made into new books like this:
Everyone in the family could have a copy.

Or you could have a selection of the sketches made into a larger collage poster to be framed.
Like these:

It's a very thoughtful idea you have, there are any number of creative possibilities.
Explore your options, look at lot's of samples to give you inspiration.
Good luck!

hi @Nikodeumus and @Framar

Thank you very much for the suggestions. Yes, the original is pad of paper using ink/ball point. And actually they were already detached but I think that's fine - I really like the collage idea.

I've already learned quite a bit.

Really really excellent ideas. Glad I asked; I'm really not versed at this at all.

I think I'll take it to someone to do. (Not sure how things will be working in the pandemic), BUT I have lots of great idea here.

!! Thanks so much !!

Things hanging on the wall tend to become the background, and are not seen any more. I would make/buy a special box, line it with rag board, & keep the notebook there. And maybe put a mezuzah-like thing (or several) on the wall wherever would be best.

Back