Framing a Lighted Vanity Mirror

clare

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Business
frame shop
Does anyone have an experience in framing something like this? This is for a personal project. I've never seen one in person, but I feel like if there is enough room on the edge of the frame to the light this could work.

I would be grateful for any thoughts or considerations!

Regards- clare

I've seen those in hotel bathrooms. I don't see why you couldn't put a frame around the edge, as long as there is a safe way to attach it without hurting the glass. Also, if the anti-fog feature involves heat, you want to be sure that is safely away from the frame.
:cool: Rick

I've framed several and I found the biggest problem was if the frame is too wide there won't be room for the vanity to open because the frame hits the wall. Hard to describe. Hold the corner sample on the mirror and see if there's clearance room when it opens.

I've seen those in hotel bathrooms. I don't see why you couldn't put a frame around the edge, as long as there is a safe way to attach it without hurting the glass. Also, if the anti-fog feature involves heat, you want to be sure that is safely away from the frame.
Oh good thoughts on the anti-fog! I will check on that for sure. Thank you! -clare

I've framed several and I found the biggest problem was if the frame is too wide there won't be room for the vanity to open because the frame hits the wall. Hard to describe. Hold the corner sample on the mirror and see if there's clearance room when it opens.
Hi Greg,

Are you thinking of a medicine cabinet style mirror?

Right. I don't believe the one pictured opens in any way.

P.S. The other detail I would watch is (as with any bathroom mirror framing), be sure to use a moulding with a durable finish that can stand up to being splashed and cleaned. This is a "heavy duty" location for a picture frame.

Right. I don't believe the one pictured opens in any way.

P.S. The other detail I would watch is (as with any bathroom mirror framing), be sure to use a moulding with a durable finish that can stand up to being splashed and cleaned. This is a "heavy duty" location for a picture frame.
Are you suggesting that I'm splashy? 🧼;)

Thanks Rick, great considerations. The humidity fluctuations could warp some woods faster than others I'm sure, too.

Possibly, but my main concern in these projects is that you know this frame is going to get toothpaste splashed on it, will need to be wiped clean, etc., and you don't want to use a frame with a finish that will degrade or smear when subjected to these kinds of abuses.

Back