• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

framing a large map

Randall C Colvin

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
I have a large(approx 40"x60") map to frame. The map has been printed allowing for the curvature of the Earth so it is one inch wider across its bottom side than it is across the top. I'd be interested to know how some of you would deal with this. The customer prefers no glazing and I have mounted it using Perfect mount.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Is the thought to build the frame with a 1" difference in the top and bottom rails, or?

Randall C Colvin

Well, that's what I'm pondering. The customer had asked about matting it to accommodate the difference and fitting into a rectangular frame but I don't think that would look like much. There's also the thing of mat and glass that large which, frankly, I'm not excited about dealing with. I'm thinking about just throwing in the towel and suggesting they use velcro to attach the mounted print to the wall.

Rick Hennen

Grumbler
Featured Vendor
Well, that's what I'm pondering. The customer had asked about matting it to accommodate the difference and fitting into a rectangular frame but I don't think that would look like much. There's also the thing of mat and glass that large which, frankly, I'm not excited about dealing with. I'm thinking about just throwing in the towel and suggesting they use velcro to attach the mounted print to the wall.
We can create a large fabric wrapped liner that could follow the contour of the map on the inside and be straight on the outside. The biggest issue with projects of this size is the crating and shipping charges. give is a call if you want to talk further Rick Rian Fabrication Services

Randall C Colvin

We can create a large fabric wrapped liner that could follow the contour of the map on the inside and be straight on the outside. The biggest issue with projects of this size is the crating and shipping charges. give is a call if you want to talk further Rick Rian Fabrication Services
Thank you.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

CHolt

True Grumbler
If you are inclined to fit it straight into a trapezoid frame let us know what equipment you have to work with. It might be easier than you think. With a guillotine chopper and an underpinner I can see it going pretty smoothly.

Randall C Colvin

If you are inclined to fit it straight into a trapezoid frame let us know what equipment you have to work with. It might be easier than you think. With a guillotine chopper and an underpinner I can see it going pretty smoothly.
Thanks but my operation is pretty old school - table saw/miter sled and miter vise. We've agreed to trim the map to a 90 degree rectangle and go from there.

cvm

PFG, Picture Framing God
Trim the mounted map with a reverse bevel, attach to a piece of acrylic that is a little larger than the map and frame the acrylic.

Pat Murphey

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Or mount a 40x60 mat exactly matching the to a 40x60 foam core. Use the reverse bevel as suggested above where the map doesn't reach the bevel and frame with spacers inserted where the map doesn't reach the rabbet.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Or, following on that, make it even larger. Reverse bevel trim the mounted map and float on a mounted mat larger than 40 x 60. But that idea of Rick's is pretty great. It also avoids ending up with a dusty, cobwebby, fly-specky surround in a few years. (They'll have to be content with a dusty, cobwebby, fly-specky map. lol... )

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Trim the mounted map with a reverse bevel, attach to a piece of acrylic that is a little larger than the map and frame the acrylic.
If you've done this, what adhesive did you use?

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202