Framing a Diptych

Micah

True Grumbler
Business
Washington Color Gallery
Friends:

I need to frame two prints which comprise a diptych. When together, they have a white border all around. When apart, each has a white border on three sides (printed to the edge of the sheet on the borders facing the other print). Does anyone have any thoughts about how something like this should be framed? I would probably ordinarily float frame them with a mat offset from the work by about 3/16", but I can't figure out if that is the best way with the unusual borders.

Thoughts?

Micah

Can you post the image? What does customer want? Usually you frame them as 2 separate items, so even mat space all around the image. You could use smaller margins on the sides, not sure if that would look good.
In the end, customer decides.

Here is a photograph of the two sheets:
20220713_125819273_iOS.jpg

That is a very unusual diptych - all the ones I have seen have been side by side rather than over and under. Depending on the size presenting them as they appear in this picture may be the best option but in the end I would be hoping the customer has sone (practical) idea of what he/she would like.

I think it has to be customer's call on this. I think it will look strange with uneven mats, so I stick with what I said first. Frame it as you would normally, with even mat borders. Or frame them together in one frame, either separated (two mat opening) or as one piece

Yiva, I don't think you're wrong. Customer has no instructions at all. Meanwhile, this mockup looks kinda bad. . . .

Both.jpg

I'd float-hinge them (either to a hidden platform smaller than the art or through slits in the mat backing. just like you have them, in the same frame. (Or, perhaps, with a bit more space between? Haven't decided.) It would have a wider mat backing all around, and spacers to hold the glazing off the art. Or, with just some of that backing showing, and then single mat window.

You are right Micah, seperating them too much ruins the aesthitic of the piece.
I'd go with Ylva or Shaylas suggestions.
I like the idea of pedestal mounting them, separated just slightly.
Suspended off a backing mat with some space between the two will have a interesting effect of depth.

The mockup does look a bit 'off'

I would make the mat borders smaller in this case, all around. I also would not use white mats/black frames as they visually split them apart more, which is not the purpose.

I would go with a mat color in that background color, which will unite them better. Choose a frame in a similar color as the mat.

I don't see the purpose of floating these. I don't think it adds much of a design element in this case and the extra white of the paper is distracting. So for a two in one frame, I would cut two mat openings, with not much space in between (depending on size of art and what looks pleasing)
I would still go with mat color and frame as I mentioned.

When floating art over a backing, it doesn't always have to be wide. With one customer, we leave about 5/8" of float mat backing out around the piece. Just enough for the spacers to hold glazing from art, with about 3/8" of backing showing out around art. Not saying that's the look you should do here, but just saying that having a float back doesn't have to mean a lot of extra space out around the art.

What are the measurements of this piece? I am thinking that an over and under presentation could pose problems in some locations.

We have done a number of diptychs with three sided mats on each piece so it looks like one mat that's been separated by the space between the frames. The customer has to hang the pieces close together for the treatment to look right.

When floating art over a backing, it doesn't always have to be wide. With one customer, we leave about 5/8" of float mat backing out around the piece. Just enough for the spacers to hold glazing from art, with about 3/8" of backing showing out around art. Not saying that's the look you should do here, but just saying that having a float back doesn't have to mean a lot of extra space out around the art.
Usually when I do a float I make the amount of backing relatively small compared to what it might be as an overmat. I feel that this creates a bit of "visual tension" between the edge of the piece and the frame, emphasizing the deckle edge found on most floated pieces. No matter what border size you decide to use, make sure the amount of space between the halves is noticeably less. That will unify the image.
:cool: Rick

I would not float mount but would over-mount with the aperture allowing 3/8 (10mm) of the white paper border visible. Hinge the bottom print onto the 4-ply backing board, allow the hinges to dry fully then then hinge the top print so that the print area meets at the overlap. For the mat space around I personally like lot of space so might suggest 4" (100 mm) top and sides, 110mm at bottom.
If you want to complicate your project contact the artist and ask them how they would like the print to be presented. One frame with one aperture or two apertures, or two frames. Galleries and museums often ask for the artist input on presentation now, but that does complicate things for you if you did not have contact with the artist initially. Good luck!

Back