FrameCo mat cutters???

Tillman

Grumbler
Have some info sent me on FrameCo mat cutters. How do they stack up in comparison to Fletcher and C&H or KeenKut? Price is inexpensive which usually indicated they aren't up to much in precision use.

Don't have any experience with FrameCo, do have experience with the old C&H and the new C&H. The old ones with the fake woodgrain particle board base where darn good cutters providing you gave them a few modifications at a machine shop, like new hinges and wobble stops. Their newer ones are beyond a machine shops help, get a chain saw instead.

What are you planning on spending on a cutter? You may be a whole lot better off to use that money as an entrance fee to a Wizard. Give it some thought.

John

I just looked them up on the web under "FrameCo".

This is the type of equipment that a home hobbyist would purchase. It is the type of thing that will end up on a shelf out in the garage after a few attempts at mat cutting. Myself, I like this type of equipment. People purchase it, they try it, then they understand why we charge what we charge. They then come to us for all their framing needs.

Don't frustrate yourself, if you can not afford a new Fletcher or CMC, look for good used equipment. That company is blatantly geared to the home hobby person, not professionals. There is a reason for that.

John

I wondered at the quality & I guess I know. Kind of like a Logan product from what I am reading.

An electronic mat cutter won't do it unless it can run on 12 volt storage batteries. Not enough 120 conversion power for much where I am much of the year. It has to be a hand operated unit. I am looking at an older C&H as well (as described above). Any known problems with the older ones? If new it would most likely be a fletcher or KeenKut.

Main problem with the older C&H was the hinges. They used junk at the time. I would imagine that if you can find an old C&H, the hinges will probably be replaced already. The foremost thing with commercial hand cutters is keep em clean and lubed.

John

Cranky a little this spring John?

Our new C&H is running just fine. A little tweek here and there, but just fine.

No problems to big for a little fabric wrap won't hide.

War Eagle, am I reading you right that you may be one of the 5 solor powered frame shops in the US?

Everyone loves the cutter they are used to, no matter how bad it is. There is a reason for this, they haven't tried or gotten used to a good one.

Over the years, I think I have tried just about all of them. In hand cutters, the old Keeton was by far the best, touchy as heck but it cut one great mat. I purchased a new C&H, it was a joke. My experience with that contraption is what prompted me to go with a CMC.

If you found a new model C&H that works as it should, I would be surprised and consider you a unusually lucky person. Either that or you haven't cut a double mat on it yet, or everything you do is fabric wrapped.

John

I have owned a C&H, Fletcher, and Keencut of the 3 I prefer the Keencut. Never a hook.

For a nice handheld cutter I would recommend a Dexter. Use a piece of masonite as your straight edge. Lay rough side down on the matboard and cut on a low nap carpet surface. No hooks with it either if you practice.

[Price is inexpensive which usually indicated they aren't up to much in precision use.]

I have an 860b with optional extended squaring arm and extended border width arm.It is spot on accurate and extremely good value for money at about 1/3 price of a comparable Logan.It is prone to go out of true if either the squaring arm or border width arm are given a knock.
Mick

Back