Question FRAME STYLE needed

sandlot

True Grumbler
"Inland Empire" (real estate talk for 'desert')
Business
Home
Is there a name to describe this type of frame which is pictured herein. Basic plywood core with applied ornament around a print which was adhered to face - no lens. 14x16 inch. I got 'piecrust' 'decoupage' but nothing else. thanks in advance.
wq350bb.jpg

Not sure what to call it other than way cool.
There are elements of Art Nouveau and the organic feel points in that direction.
I've never seen anything quite like it.

I'm going to go with home made...incorporating numerous ideas from other times.

There's a name for this homemade, crafty style from the 20s/30s but it escapes me at the moment. I recall reading about it PFM some time back.

Some very beautiful, why 'tramp art'?
Tramp art is a style of woodworking which emerged in America the latter half of the nineteenth century. Some of tramp art's defining characteristics include chip or notch carving, the reclaimation of cheap or available wood such as that from cigar boxes and shipping crates, the use of simple tools such as penknives, and the layering of materials into geometric shapes through glue or nails

Tramp art - Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramp_art

"Tramp Art" was an unfortunate name indicative of the times. It is highly sought after regardless.
There are a number of styles and designs. Much of it dependent on manual labor with no real time limit.

I have never seen anything like that piecrust frame - it is wicked awesome! What a treasure.

There is a fascinating group on Facebook called Antique Picture Frames. Folks, both framers and collectors, keep posting the most drool-worthy frames on the planet. Drives me crazy - but sometimes an expert (like Brother Baer) will come up with a bit of history on the frames.

I have never seen anything like that piecrust frame - it is wicked awesome! What a treasure.

There is a fascinating group on Facebook called Antique Picture Frames. Folks, both framers and collectors, keep posting the most drool-worthy frames on the planet. Drives me crazy - but sometimes an expert (like Brother Baer) will come up with a bit of history on the frames.
Going on a trip to FB now. thanks

the frame in the og post is pretty wicked, but i wouldn't call it tramp art. not sure what i would call it though...

I don't have a ton of photos on my phone. It really is just a hobby I do in the winter when outdoor activity is more difficult. Some of these are works in progress. The spheres and snowflakes were colored and finished as Christmas ornaments. The box is my tongue-in-cheek solution for Cards Against Humanity. I won't show the other side on here since it's not really safe for work.

James

Attachments

• tramp4.jpg
    tramp4.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 9
  • tramp5.jpg
    tramp5.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 11
  • tramp6.jpg
    tramp6.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 11
  • tramp7.jpg
    tramp7.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 11
  • tramp8.jpg
    tramp8.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 12
  • tramp9.jpg
    tramp9.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 16
According to Baer Charlton, who is quite knowledgeable about this, the framestyle shown in the original post is called Piemould Grotesque. So the ‘piecrust’ Reference was right.

Huh????????????????? Google knows from nothing about "Piemould Grotesque". Not a single link.

Your search - "Piemould" Grotesque - did not match any documents.

I think Baer's terminology was general. The piecrust shape element is a common reference for frames that have the curvy, wavy feature, and grotesque is a term used in various fields including typography.
"Since at least the 18th century Italy, grotesque has come to be used as a general adjective for the strange, mysterious, magnificent, fantastic, hideous, ugly, incongruous, unpleasant, or disgusting, and thus is often used to describe weird shapes and distorted forms such as Halloween masks.Wikipedia"

I would like a baker's dozen of these, please. 😋
Can you ship them to me? 🚚
Better use acrylic instead of glass, for safety you know. ;)

Coming up! :p

What sort of cheese would you prefer? I usually use Red Leicester for the added visual effect. 😂
(And because it is acid free)

I don't know what kinda bread you guys are toasting, but it looks like a classic case of penicillin mold.

This was found in my dad's stuff after he died. No idea who painted it but I added some blue to the old frame and I kinda like it.
Winter farm in moonlight.jpg

People did used to bake bread picture frames. It was a brief fad at one time. 😂

I've also heard of oatmeal covered frames. :rolleyes:
Martha Stewart makes a nice macaroni and glitter frame on one of her shows. "nice"... being very, very, very polite.

This was found in my dad's stuff after he died. No idea who painted it but I added some blue to the old frame and I kinda like it. View attachment 38260
It does have a certain charm and I like how you added some blue to the frame.

Back