• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Frame Square 4000 clamp advice

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades

BarbH

Grumbler in Training
Greetings! I recently inherited a Frame Square 4000 circa 1980s. It has a clamp system that is unfamiliar to me. It appears to be a wooden wedge that is held in place by a cam clamp and metal bar. As you can see from the pictures, it is quite worn. Does anyone have a picture/manual of how this type of clamp works and/or advice on how to get it to working condition?

Here is a link to more pictures:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=X2tSSm1WNGg4bUwtaEEzdXl3d05tSThodnR1LW9B

Attachments

• 1020171021.jpg
    1020171021.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 32

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Barb, I just sent you a PM - I think I did figure it out.

Andrew Lenz Jr.

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
I'm really curious about that. I've never seen anything like it. And I was already knee deep in framing in the 1980s.

Andrew

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Sounds like the Frame Square was hacked.

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Sounds like the Frame Square was hacked.

That is part of the Frame Square Saw 4000. I have no idea of how to use that wood piece or the reasoning for it, I removed the it from my 4000. I spoke to this person yesterday and she has the measuring rails but doesn't have the side clamps for her 4000. The side clamps are exactly like the 1000 so she will try to find them, if anyone knows where there may be a spare set of clamps she may be interested in purchasing them.

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Here is a description of the item - "#2 - Scrap Support Block. It states to move the block to the moulding when cutting so it doesn't ricochet when it is being cut" OHHHKAY - Never had any ricocheting scrap moulding when not using it. It does appear the previous owner may have done some modifying.

IMG_0284.JPG

Andrew Lenz Jr.

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
I get it. Interesting. Though I'd find using a saw in a 180° rotation like that to be very weird and inefficient. I'm glad we bought our Framesquare model 35+ years ago instead of that one.

Andrew

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Though I'd find using a saw in a 180° rotation like that to be very weird and inefficient. I'm glad we bought our Framesquare model 35+ years ago instead of that one. Andrew

I use/own both the 1000 model and the 4000 model Frame Square and I have to agree, the 1000 is easier to use but the 4000 keeps you at the end where you can keep the scrap from falling without the use of a roller and without getting your hand in front of the blade.

Direct Contact Overlays DCO Book by James Miller

BarbH

Grumbler in Training
Apologize for the slow response. My Cassese CS88 started jamming on me this week....

Thank you so much for all the responses!

I've been using a FrameSquare 1000 for two years (lost a finger tip to it in April, so, yes, Joe is right, keep that hand away!!!) which I really like. I inherited the 4000 along with a lot of other shop equipment this summer. The guy who was retiring has used it for 40 years, so it works as is, but I would feel safer if the moulding clamped in better. Joe advised me to post to the WTB section for frame square clamps and so I will.

Thanks again for all the information!

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding