• Welcome to the largest and friendlest resource for picture framers! Please LOG IN or REGISTER a free account.
    Once logged in, you will be able to SEARCH our archives.
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. Trouble? Click the CONTACT US link.

Formed Rods

Airpag Corner, packing solution for frame shipping

David Hewitt

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
FWIW:
Was sharing with someone, thought I would mention here.
A handy source of wire or rods for making formed rod supports that I find very useful are, SS Straight or T-Pins. They come in all sizes, form well and are resistant to corrosion.

Also an excellent source for tubing is heat shrink.com. sizes and colors from 3/64 to 9 inches.

Heatshrink - Tubing, Cutting, Printing.

SS Wire and handy tool ( not so much for framing, but a real handy tool when needed ) available at any aircraft supply.
th
th
1636734394849.jpeg
OIP.1VzRP5nYazV5VI6g9S5UlAHaE8

Last edited:

osgood

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Resource Provider
Business
Full time grey nomad traveling Oz!
I often twist wire using a vise to hold one end of the doubled wire and put the other end in a drill chuck. Pull slightly on the drill and start it up!
'I don't need no steeeenking special tool!' :) ;) ;)

alacrity8

Forum Donor
FWIW:
Was sharing with someone, thought I would mention here.
A handy source of wire or rods for making formed rod supports that I find very useful are, SS Straight or T-Pins. They come in all sizes, form well and are resistant to corrosion.

Also an excellent source for tubing is heat shrink.com. sizes and colors from 3/64 to 9 inches.

Heatshrink - Tubing, Cutting, Printing.

SS Wire and handy tool ( not so much for framing, but a real handy tool when needed ) available at any aircraft supply.
th
th
View attachment 40341
OIP.1VzRP5nYazV5VI6g9S5UlAHaE8
Do they supply the pins as well, or do you have another good source?

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

David Hewitt

Forum Donor
Last edited:

David Hewitt

Forum Donor
I wish there was a tool like that for twisting the SuperSoftstrand wire after threading it to the hardware when fitting a frame. It's my least favorite part of the process.
I like the process, just pull it taut, wrap, push together, cut. Once you get a rhythm it becomes easy.

Attachments

• tempImageRRhDaY.png
    tempImageRRhDaY.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 15

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Register for the picture framer's grumble
I wish there was a tool like that for twisting the SuperSoftstrand wire after threading it to the hardware when fitting a frame. It's my least favorite part of the process.
You mean like the wire twisters in the 'most useless tools' thread? One of mine broke and now I only have one left. I might try to make one myself, somehow.

SmallCorp Welded Aluminum Frames, Acrylic Cases, Frames

Nikodeumus

You mean like the wire twisters in the 'most useless tools' thread? One of mine broke and now I only have one left. I might try to make one myself, somehow.
As mentioned on the other "useless tools" thread, those twisters could be 3D printed.
And using much stronger material than the plastic manufactured ones.
Yes, the production cost per item would be much higher than mass production.
But mass production isn't the goal of personal print on demand capability.
The advantage is exactly what we are discussing here: customization of an existing but "not quite what I want" tool, reproducible on demand with comparative ease, and the ability to make adjustments with each new iteration.
I bet if you bribed some of our several talented 3D print enthusiasts here on the G with an offer of home made cookies, you would half a dozen custom wire twisters in no time.:p

David Hewitt

Forum Donor
You mean like the wire twisters in the 'most useless tools' thread? One of mine broke and now I only have one left. I might try to make one myself, somehow
I
wire-winder-jpg.40298
Got a machinist friend? That tool could easily be made out of stainless steel or aluminum 5/16" round or hexagon stock.
37841.jpg
5/16 x 2

Last edited:

Ylva

Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I wish David! My son could possibly do it (if his boss would let him use the machines). However, he just started at this company so a bit too early for requests like that.

For now, I still have the green one and if needed, I could use the blue one as well (they are for thicker wire though, so not as snug)

Rick Granick

Forum Donor
I like the process, just pull it taut, wrap, push together, cut. Once you get a rhythm it becomes easy.
Right, but much as I like SuperSoftStrand, the plastic coating can sometimes cause the wrapping to loosen, so I have taken to tightening it up by then twisting it with lineman pliers. This works nicely, but it is another step and another repetitive motion task. I imagine that using the little plastic gizmos would be a similar task.
:coffeedrinker2: Rick

Rick Granick

Forum Donor
Speaking of plastic gizmos, here is one I love. They do weaken and break eventually and are unfortunately no longer made. Any of you other old-timers still use these too?

IMG_0475.jpg

Closest thing I've found recently is this 3m Tartan HB-901, sold as a filament tape dispenser. It works well, but is obviously bulkier. The other one is kinda brilliant because it rides on the tape roll itself.
-1.jpg

:cool: Rick

Ylva

Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Right, but much as I like SuperSoftStrand, the plastic coating can sometimes cause the wrapping to loosen, so I have taken to tightening it up by then twisting it with lineman pliers. This works nicely, but it is another step and another repetitive motion task. I imagine that using the little plastic gizmos would be a similar task.
:coffeedrinker2: Rick

It is a very fast method with the little plastic gizmos. You put in on the wire, and twist the end. It is faster than wrapping by hand. You keep it on the wire, slide it to other side and twist it.

Register for the picture framer's grumble

Jim Miller

Forum Donor
Speaking of plastic gizmos, here is one I love. They do weaken and break eventually and are unfortunately no longer made. Any of you other old-timers still use these too?

View attachment 40372

Closest thing I've found recently is this 3m Tartan HB-901, sold as a filament tape dispenser. It works well, but is obviously bulkier. The other one is kinda brilliant because it rides on the tape roll itself.
View attachment 40375

:cool: Rick
These look like more possible 3D printer projects!

Rick Granick

Forum Donor
Possibly so, but the plastic has to be somewhat flexible for those "fingers" to grip the tape roll properly, and for the folding clasp to work. It also has an integral serrated metal cutting blade. United used to sell these in several widths.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.