• Welcome to the largest and friendlest resource for picture framers! Please LOG IN or REGISTER a free account.
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. Trouble? Click the CONTACT US link.
  • Congratulations to our 9500th member, FramerLancashire!
    You win 2 complimentary months of Donor Level status on the G.

Fletcher Framemaster Weirdness

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Lately, our Fletcher Framemaster has been acting weird. We use the single framers points in it, and the tension has become unpredictable. Some points go in the usual amount, but other shoot in almost all the way. Like, with less than 1/4" of the point sticking out. The other day, one shot clear through to the other side. If they were all one way or the other, we could adjust the tension knob, but we never know which it will be. We've had springs break before, and that's not what it is. Sound familiar to anyone?

framing framers point.png

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
An exorcism may be in order.

It sounds like the driver release mechanism might be sticking, and not extending out in a regular fashion. It determines how far the drive spring is compressed when pulling the trigger. The farther it extends, the longer the trigger is engaged, and the longer the trigger is engaged the more powerful the release on the drive spring. If it is gummed up it might not behave as it should and result in the issue you described. The spring tension knob is at the other end of the spring and shouldn't affect the tension without adjustment.

Take it apart and clean it. Get some degreaser from an auto parts store and give it a good bath (just the metal parts). If that doesn't work, contact Fletcher's customer support or your local psychic.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
An exorcism may be in order.

It sounds like the driver release mechanism might be sticking, and not extending out in a regular fashion. It determines how far the drive spring is compressed when pulling the trigger. The farther it extends, the longer the trigger is engaged, and the longer the trigger is engaged the more powerful the release on the drive spring. If it is gummed up it might not behave as it should and result in the issue you described. The spring tension knob is at the other end of the spring and shouldn't affect the tension without adjustment.

Take it apart and clean it. Get some degreaser from an auto parts store and give it a good bath (just the metal parts). If that doesn't work, contact Fletcher's customer support or your local psychic.
Thanks, Wally! You're the most comforting badger I know. :thumbsup:

Register for the picture framer's grumble

Rick Granick

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Is this a manual or pneumatic tool? I have a hard time picturing a manual one shooting a point all the way thru a moulding, unless it is a tine 5/8" wide frame.
:coffeedrinker2: Rick

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Is this a manual or pneumatic tool? I have a hard time picturing a manual one shooting a point all the way thru a moulding, unless it is a tine 5/8" wide frame.
:coffeedrinker2: Rick
Manual. It was narrower than 5/8", but would usually be fine.

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Business
death star driver
Has anyone had their points bend as they go in? Mine does it but not on all the points.
Adjusting the nob at the back doesn't seem to make any difference.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
Register for the picture framer's grumble
Only on seriously hard wood, Raif. Rock maple, exotics, etc.

Rick Granick

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Has anyone had their points bend as they go in? Mine does it but not on all the points.
Adjusting the nob at the back doesn't seem to make any difference.
Mine does that sometimes. Today's mouldings are often finger-joined combinations of various woods under all the finish, and some of the harder sections tend to resist the insertion of the point.

Springlock by Craft Inc