• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

Fletcher 2200 Suddenly Cutting a Very Narrow Bevel

Marian Switzrt

Grumbler in Training
Hello!

This is my first post as a new member, but I've definitely turned to The Grumble MANY times over the years for answers to my questions. It seems like I may be the first one to have this problem and I am very stumped.

Overnight my mat cutter has suddenly decided to cut my bevels very narrow. Instead of it being a nice 45 degree angle and showing a nice juicy white angle, it's a much steeper angle and therefore the white core isn't popping like it usually does. I haven't adjusted anything recently which is why I am very perplexed. I've checked that the bar is nice and flush with the base and the head isn't wiggling at all. Has anyone else run into this or have any suggestions on what it could be? I've sent an email to Fletcher directly, but I'm unsure how long it will take to hear from them and would like to power on with some framing.

I've attached a photo of what my bevels looked like a couple days ago compared to now (outside double mat is the older one and inside single mat is the new bevel reveal) Ignore the bad corner!
20200415_161316.jpg

Thanks in advance!

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
What kind of blades are you using?

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
What kind of blades are you using?
Exactly what I was going to ask.:thumbsup:
Are they 1200... 1500... 1200SE... 1500SE... and if they are SE (single edge) blades are they installed in the right direction?
The regular 1200 and 1500 blades are dual edge and it doesn't matter which way they are installed .

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
My first guess is a backward single edge blade. Or perhaps the blade has slipped and is not at the correct exposure on the cutting head. That might cause it.

But if you really didn't do anything at all, not even change the blade; well I don't think gremlins are real. :)

A picture of the cutting head with blade might be more helpful.

artfolio

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I always used the double edged blades in my Fletcher and my bevels usually looked like your "new" (inner) ones. I only got the wider bevels after switching to a Wizard. Given that the angle of the cutting head can't be changed I am baffled as to how using different blades, or anything else, could bring about this change. :shrug:

Marian Switzrt

Grumbler in Training
I figure it must be something super simple that I've done and because I've looked at it too long I'm missing something obvious. Let me know if anyone needs a different angle or picture of something else :)

Attachments

Marian Switzrt

Grumbler in Training
I always used the double edged blades in my Fletcher and my bevels usually looked like your "new" (inner) ones. I only got the wider bevels after switching to a Wizard. Given that the angle of the cutting head can't be changed I am baffled as to how using different blades, or anything else, could bring about this change. :shrug:
Maybe my cutter was working improperly before and the thinner bevels are actually correct!

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Maybe my cutter was working improperly before and the thinner bevels are actually correct!
We mostly use a Wizard for cutting mats.
Once in a while we have to use our manual mat cutter which is a Phaedra Chronomat cutter.
It is basically an upgraded Fletcher.

One thing I have noticed is that the Manual mat cutter has always cut a steeper bevel than the Wizard.
There are really only 3 screws on the Fletcher that might change the blade angle..
Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 4.28.35 PM.png
From your picture, and it's hard to tell exactly, it looks like your blade is extended longer and more than it should be unless you're cutting 8 ply mats.
This won't affect the angle of the bevel but it should be set.
The blade should be extended just far enough to cut through the 4 ply mat and just slightly into your under board .(a 4 ply mat strip that should always be used under the mat that you are cutting)

Marian Switzrt

Grumbler in Training
We mostly use a Wizard for cutting mats.
Once in a while we have to use our manual mat cutter which is a Phaedra Chronomat cutter.
It is basically an upgraded Fletcher.

One thing I have noticed is that the Manual mat cutter has always cut a steeper bevel than the Wizard.
There are really only 3 screws on the Fletcher that might change the blade angle..
View attachment 33720
From your picture, and it's hard to tell exactly, it looks like your blade is extended longer and more than it should be unless you're cutting 8 ply mats.
This won't affect the angle of the bevel but it should be set.
The blade should be extended just far enough to cut through the 4 ply mat and just slightly into your under board .(a 4 ply mat strip that should always be used under the mat that you are cutting)
Thanks! I had played around with how far the blade is sticking out in case that did anything - which it didn't - but it's usually in a bit more and almost flush with the blade catalogue

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Marian Switzrt

Grumbler in Training
Just a little more background - I've been using this particular mat cutter for just over two years without incident. This one is a 60" and I had used a 48" Fletcher 2200 for over 11 years before that, again without any issues. I've almost always used the double sided blades. I tried the single sided blades once and didn't like the way they felt cutting into the mat. I'm just trying to figure out what could have been bumped by accident or adjusted incorrectly that has led to this because it literally changed in a matter of hours and not gradually and I've never had this happen before.

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Thanks! I had played around with how far the blade is sticking out in case that did anything - which it didn't - but it's usually in a bit more and almost flush with the blade catalogue
Maybe the blades have changed and not you..:shrug:

Actually the blades we use are C+H blades not Fletcher, 1200..1200SE...1500...1500SE.. but they work in almost any mat cutter.
Good luck and welcome to the Grumble...:beer:

Last edited:

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
You cutting head is properly adjusted for optimum tightness side-to-side, right? That's the adjustment of five small Allen Head setscrews.

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
My initial thoughts were that the sample on the right looked correct and the bevels on the double mat on the left were way too wide. Compare the visual width of the bevel, measuring looking straight at the mat, against the mat thickness. They should be the same.

IMG_0091.jpg

David Hewitt

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Seeing this happened rapidly with no change in adjustments, and I'm just thinking here, since it has been years since I last used a 2000. But first is your slip sheet and base completely flat, no high spot (flaw) in the mat that could put the bar on a different angle? Residue on the base causing the same. Also on the bottom ends of the bar are spacers (like a bump on) so that the bar, when pressed, will have better pressure in center of mat. When bumpers are missing or in a different location {like at the very outer edge) that could change the angle of the bar, hence the blade angle, does that make sense?

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Marian,

Welcome to the G! We're glad to have you.

Mike

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202