• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Firewall Protection

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Does Windows protect against security threats well enough now that no other protections are needed? (i.e. Mcaffey, etc...)

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Great question.

Simple firewalls are usually just to protect "ports" that outsiders could use to probe or access your computer. Your home or business router is likely already blocking all ports from the outside world, and Windows does it as well with a second layer. (which protects you from other computers WITHIN your firewalled internal network, on the inside of the router/network, including wifi connected devices)

Most bugs come in because of email attachments that we get tricked to click, fake links that come in by email that we click by accident, bundled within software installers from unreputable sources, or via fake websites that have similar spellings to the correct ones. In these cases, we are "reaching out" to access whatever the payload is, and it goes right through the firewall to do so. A firewall won't generally help in those cases, so it's still very important to have a proper antivirus/anti malware type program. (and to be careful what we click)

You can also get one by inserting a flash drive or CD/DVD disk that is already infected, and is set to auto load whatever is on it.

I have been very happy with the basic version of Kaspersky (Kaspersky AntiVirus), for many years. It doesnt add any additional unnecessary firewalls, and doesn't slow the computer down much. I have that on at least 40 computers that I manage between home, shop, and clients. I haven't seen a virus in over a decade, on any of them.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I use Kaspersky as well, the simple version and love it. It runs in the background without being annoying (like Norton or McAfee) My laptop came with one month of McAfee and I hated it. I think I finally managed to completely remove any traces of it. I hope.

Peter Odems

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Here is a good learning ladys!
[video=youtube: cCQAD_ucGvQ]

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
We now have the basic version of Kaspersky Antivirus on our home and work computers. $120.00 for three years. Thanks for the help. :beer:

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com
Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com