• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Fire Fighter coin floating between 2 frames visible from both sides

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Here is a Phoenix Fire Fighter coin that we floated between 2 frames visible from both sides to sit on a table or desk.
6" x 6" shadow box frames.

We cut a 6" x 6" piece of Optium and laser cut the circle in our shop in the center to hold the coin tightly.
Then I cut 2- 6" x 6" Larson frames.
I also cut 2 - 6"x 6" pieces of Optium for the glazing on both sides of the frame.

I sprayed the inside rabbets of the frames flat black because it might be seen from the outside.
Then I wrapped 1" Fome Cor strips with black linen for the side shadow box pieces leaving a 1/8" gap for the coin with the Optium panel to float between the two frames.
Glued the two frames together and it was done.
The backside of the coin was made a little crooked from the front...not much we could do about that, we didn't make the coin.

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 5.45.02 PM.png
IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1194.JPG Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 5.47.26 PM.png

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
That looks awesome! Was the coin same thickness as the acrylic? Trying to reconstruct what you did, in my head.
Yes, the coin was about 1/8" thick as was the Optium.
It was a very tight fit in the laser cut circle, I don't think that it will ever move.
I did everything but the laser cutting.
Our laser guy is very good at what he does.
He also manufactures a lot of items for sale on the internet.

Nikodeumus

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
That looks fantastic!
I would never have thought to have had a hole cut in acrylic with a laser.
I am also going to file this in my "tool kit" for floating double-sided items.
Very clever.

Direct Contact Overlays DCO Book by James Miller

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
This job was fun and one of the best things about it was that the only thing I had to order was about 8' of moulding for the 2 - 6"x 6" frames.
The three pieces of Optium Acrylic were scraps and the black linen was left over from another job.
We use a pretty good amount of Optium and there are always lots of scraps left over.
We rarely throw these scraps out, even the smaller ones, because that stuff ain't cheap and we can often find a use for them in other jobs.:cool:

Ad Banner for SmallCorp