• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Finishing advice, tutorials, etc

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

jdk

Grumbler
Hi friends - I'm looking for some good information on finishing custom wood (bare) frames. Anything involving veneer application, gesso, and painting/staining/sealing. If anyone has advice or can point me to a good on-demand tutorial series ($) that would be great. Thanks!

Edit: sorry, just realized this may not be the most appropriate forum. Please move if necessary.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Hi jdk!

I am not sure if framers would be able to advice on veneer applications or gesso. I am not sure if vendors would offer this kind of information.

I do re-finish some frames, using existing profiles. How that is done is too broad to all type up. I use acrylics, rub n buff, rottenstone, stains, patinas, modpodge, waxes, papers and too many other things.
What are you trying to do and do you want this to be production style?
A lot of finishing that I do are 'one offs' not really for production. It would be too expensive and take too long.

jdk

Grumbler
What are you trying to do and do you want this to be production style?
Just experiment for the time being. I know my way around some simple finishing techniques for general woodworking but I want to learn about more specialized options for custom frames. I don't mind paying for something like a video series...workshops are not an option at the moment for obvious reasons.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I think the question is too broad to really give an answer.
I would just experiment. I assume you start out with bare wood, maybe start with some wood carving? Experiment with different techniques.
I don't think much would be gained with video series (and I am not aware of any)

Here is some inspiration maybe:

jdk

Grumbler
That's fair. I didn't know if there might be some kind of resource like that...and I realize most people here don't really dabble in custom finishing.

dedicated floater frame clamp

Teague Moulding

Grumbler in Training
You could buy some raw liner and practice on it with paint or gesso. There are gold leafers with videos on you tube.
Liberon black patinating wax and Howard feed n wax are 2 products I use to alter prefinished moulding along with acrylic black paint.
This is a great way to move dead inventory.

Finest Fabric

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
....can't seem to paste the link. Here's the book, there is one for sale on Amazon.

Encyclopedia of Picture Framing Techniques by Robert Cunning

Attachments

• 51f2MSfQI8L._SY495_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    51f2MSfQI8L._SY495_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 3

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
me seeey bothy okydoky

Last edited:
Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

Framar

WOW Framer
Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada
My favorite resourse on classic wood finishing (and refinishing) is The Furniture Doctor by George Grotz. It is well organized and very informative. My copy is the first edition from 1962 and it has been updated at least once that I know of (gave that copy away).

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC
W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades