• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Favorite Designs

Ad Banner for SmallCorp

Nikodeumus

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Depending on the type of mask - do they have holes on the sides for the ties? I have used those to simply tie a mask onto a backing.

The client wants to be able to remove them if he feels like having fun or showing them off.
The masks have got holes and there is 1/4" stretchy cord attached, so they can be worn while performing.
My idea is to make hooks that the cord can simply be draped over.
I just need to see if the length of cord will allow the masks to hang and hide the hooks behind the masks.
Also, not sure if they will lay flat against the back board while hanging.

Framar

WOW Framer
You could tie them in the back of the frame and he could untie them and retie them. That way they would hang perfectly and be pretty easy in uninstall and reinstall?

Matthew Hale

That's awsome!

How did you attach the mask? Is it removable?
I have six paper mache masks to mount in individual frames.
I am going to play around with making some kind of hooks from black plastic coated wire.

My client isn't worried about long term effects of the masks being exposed to the room environment.
The masks are not valuable, nor will they be "hierlooms", just fun decorative art projects.
So, not shadowboxed like yours.
the artist was kind enough to create the mask (which isn't really a mask, more of a "bust" without the neck and shoulder part) with a hole in the back of the head for mounting on a dowel. So it's just friction fit to a wooden dowel and hanging free. the insides are lined with black suede mat board, and the glazing is Optium Museum Acrylic.

GreyDrakkon

Forum Donor
Rather pleased with how this turned out! The customers sent us a pic of their two pieces hanging together. The family seal is matted with the family tartan the customer supplied to us, and is in a stacked frame that matches the kilt's. The kilt is something else! The customers wanted to be able to access it when needed, so we had to figure out how to get it deep enough to accommodate the sporran, support the entire thing, and be removable. We settled on a gravity frame, which I reinforced with small hooks on the corners because I'm paranoid about the outer frame somehow getting knocked off. We took a wide black moulding and stood it on end, nestling the inner silver frame into it and bolting them together, then lining the inside with black to conceal the hardware. For the kilt, I discovered that without internal support the sporran's chain puckered in one side horribly. Easily fixed by cutting a foam board support. To make the kilt removable I installed mug hooks into the top rail. It turned out the kilt already had loops, but I sewed in a few more for extra support, as well as adding a couple to the foam board so there was no chance of it slipping down. The leg garters are looped onto foam and mat supports that are glued onto the mat board backer.
This was an unusual project in every way, and I used the Grumble for a lot of research while putting it together!
20200806_200456.jpg

Last edited:
Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

Nikodeumus

Rather pleased with how this turned out! The customers sent us a pic of their two pieces hanging together. The family seal is matted with the family tartan the customer supplied to us, and is in a stacked frame that matches the kilt's. The kilt is something else! The customers wanted to be able to access it when needed, so we had to figure out how to get it deep enough to accommodate the sporran, support the entire thing, and be removable. We settled on a gravity frame, which I reinforced with small hooks on the corners because I'm paranoid about the outer frame somehow getting knocked off. We took a wide back moulding and stood it on end, nestling the inner silver frame into it and bolting them together, then lining the inside with black to conceal the hardware. For the kilt, I discovered that without internal support the sporran's chain puckered in one side horribly. Easily fixed by cutting a foam board support. To make the kilt removable I installed mug hooks into the top rail. It turned out the kilt already had loops, but I sewed in a few more for extra support, as well as adding a couple to the foam board so there was no chance of it slipping down. The leg garters are looped onto foam and mat supports that are glued onto the mat board backer.
This was an unusual project in every way, and I used the Grumble for a lot of research while putting it together!
View attachment 35171
WOW! Very nice display.
You came up with some clever solutions.
Thanks for the ideas.

Nikodeumus

I've never done any frame wash or matt dry rub embellishments.
I'd like to learn. I've enjoyed the examples others have posted in various threads.
Do you have any favourite resources for learning these techniques?

I do have a textured rustic metallic matt piece I was considering.
I've had this scrap for many years, I really like it.
I don't remember what SKU this is, I think it's a Crescent matt?

View attachment 34972 View attachment 34973
Update: I tried colouring the anvil frame as suggested.
I used some copper acrylic crafting paint I had on hand. Put a few dabs on a clean cotton cloth and just rubbed it over the raised portions.

av1.jpg av2.jpg (Comparing LJ sample corner with my touch up.)

Still needs more work, another layer of a rich dark red to pick up on the rust colours in the photo?
I think I might add a few subtle areas to simulate the aged white patches of paint in the photo.
I'd like it to look like the frame is made from the same kind of rusted metal that is in the photo.
I like the idea better than the black of the original Anvil finish for complimenting the variety of rust tones in the photo.

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com
Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

Mervin02m

Grumbler in Training
Honestly, I am not a framer. But I am excited to find something interesting to learn from the Grumble family. All the photos in the frames are giving different expressions. It's really amazing. Thank you all.

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only