Resolved fabric covered bulletin board

The original poster indicated they have found a solution and that this topic has been RESOLVED / SOLVED

Melinda Tennis

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
Business
Melinda's
Hey there Grumblers, What board would you use to back fabric for a 20x24 bulletin board? I saw one suggestion of Homasote. Could I drymount on it? Half inch foam core? I think Gator board would be too tough to pin into. Kool Tack? I was also thinking fabric glue would make the pinning tricky. I welcome any and all suggestions. Thank you.

My order board is matboard bonded to foam board. You could use Fusion film to heat mount fabric on to that.

Every once in a while, we'll get an order to make a custom corkboard. We use Homasote and a 1/8" cork that we bond together with PVA. The Homasote is nice because it's sorta self-healing when you use thumbtacks.

Where do you get Homasote?
Depends what part of the country you live in. When I lived in Boston it was available everywhere and I covered my studio walls with it. Now I'm in Florida and no place carries it here. It absorbs moisture so isn't really appropriate for a humid climate. I'd love to get my hands on a few pieces though, haven't found anything else that so easy to pin into.

We offer fabric wrapped bulletin boards in almost any size if you are interested in having one made. Our preferred method of creating these is glueing 1/8" cork onto Soundboard which is a fiberboard product made by Blueridge. We find the face of the board better suited to bulletin boards than Homosote. It is also lighter. We also offer these with various thicknesses of strainers attached to the back to make them thicker. When a strainer is used we wrap the fabric around onto the back and the design incorporates a french cleate so the board can be hung without a frame. We also offer 1/8" cork by the yard as well as some good linens for this process.

The one thing about foamboard is that it does not close or "self-heal" as good corkboard does.
If pins are going to be removed and added frequently, eventually there will just be big holes under the covering where pins won't be able to stick.
I'm looking at our "community post board" right now. Even with cork, there are "bald" sections, it gets used a lot.
Probably not an issue for foam bulletin boards that are decorative and/or are not going to be re-pinned super frequently.

There is a foam used in the bug collecting/pinning world that somewhat heals when the pins are removed.
I have no ide what it's called, but I have a bit on hand for one customer.

We done many dozens of these using 1/8" cork glued over Soundboard.

Back