Excell

samcrimm

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Hey everyone,

Been working on a simple spread sheet to figure my framing pricing. I can do simple 1 frame at a time, but I had a customer with 6 frames and I was over loaded. Attached is my simple spread sheet and a fancy one ( I didn't do but would like mine to look like) but I don't know how to do it. Also I get the #value because I don't have all the frame info in all the squares. I think i am lucky to get this far.
Please ck and see if I did it right and give me any input you can. I just want it simple so I can price faster.
Well I can't up load it. I can email it to you if your willing to help me.

Thanks A TON
Sam

Last edited:
I think you have your costs in cells in a row or column to get it counted with a "sum" formula?

When you use a row, you can simple copy that complete row down as much as you like.

Than you can fill the required data as the dimensions etc. in the new cells and finally you can make a "sum" formula in a new cell to calculate the final result of all different calculations.

Just to clarify the problem - are you trying to use a computer to calculate prices or do you want a matrix chart you can add up the elements from to arrive at a price?

If you want a chart layout I still have my matrix pricing chart on file and could pm it to you if that would help.

Artfolio,
I am trying to use a spread sheet for this. So far for one frame it works, or I think it works.
I would to see your chart it might work better.
Thanks
Sam

Hi Samcrimm,

Don't mean to be rude. But Calculate the number of hours you spend on creating the spreadsheet. Then work out how many frames you could have framed in that time and the profit. This is essentially the lost income from using your time else where. It may work out cheaper to actually get framing software. there is plenty of it out there. Software will also help you save time and make more money in other parts of your business as well.
Sorry, we have all been there and if you read any comments from any of the software related threads, you will see that nearly everyone says it was the best move they made, and would not operate with out.
Just something i think you should consider.

Thanks Larry I can't spell sometimes.
And Thanks I framer, I know where your coming from but....I am not selling enough to pay for that yet, I have the spread sheet done, but I wanted it double checked and some input if I could improve it. I have time on my hands 3 days a week waiting on customers to walk in.

Any takers?

Thanks
Sam

It sounds like marketing and advertising you need to concentrate on then.

if you need customers don’t wait go out and find them. Approach every gallery, artist, photographer, clubs, pubs, universities, education centres, businesses, use social media, radio, charity organisation for free publicity etc.
Sometimes you only need 1 extra client t start filling your week up.

The least expensive way is to just have an old fashion picture framers pricing chart and a footage chart and a worksheet for each job that can be created on spreadsheets. One the info on the job worksheet is inserted the total job will be calculated, including taxes.

An alternative is framing software from the UK that is 1/2 off ($200) for the PC or MAC that requires FILEMAKER (an APPLE product). It has £ vs $ showing; but, that can be easily modified.
https://www.theframersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15722

I figured I could print screen to show how simple my sheet is. I also could only show one formula.
The main reason behind this doing more than one frame for a customer and I have a such a small shop I feel like when I am writing down the cost the customer if they wanted to could see what I am doing.

Thanks
Sam

Attachments

• screen shot of spread sheet.jpg
    screen shot of spread sheet.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 38
The least expensive way is to just have an old fashion picture framers pricing chart and a footage chart and a worksheet for each job that can be created on spreadsheets. One the info on the job worksheet is inserted the total job will be calculated, including taxes.

An alternative is framing software from the UK that is 1/2 off ($200) for the PC or MAC that requires FILEMAKER (an APPLE product). It has £ vs $ showing; but, that can be easily modified.
https://www.theframersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15722

This isnt really directed at you, Jerry, but I replied to yours. :)

I think perhaps the biggest benefit of the pro ones is that they update the moulding, mat, and fabric prices weekly. (if not more often, perhaps daily for some) Instead of re pricing everything or changing things manually every 1-3 years, it gets done weekly so you aren't leaving money on the table that adds up fast more than the cost of about $1 per day. The time you would spend updating that so often and keeping in contact with all the vendors carried is probably worth a lot more than that dollar, IMO. You're also notified when something is discontinued, so you don't accidentally sell it and will also know to take the expired sample down. You're automatically building a mailing list with most packages, even the free ones, and you are not putting unnecessary part numbers or details on the customers copy. The invoice goes to them with the description, total, date due, tax, deposit, etc and the workorder prints for the framers use only, which has the measurements and part numbers. You'll be able to do quotes/estimates and keep them on file. You'll have a full order history to look back on in the future, instead of keeping boxes of paperwork, and can easily duplicate an old order with todays higher prices. Most programs will email customer when their order is ready, and put it on a production calendar that also prints a shopping/pick list of materials. It will have places to charge for the area of mat sold/cut (scaled by size), the # of openings, the fitting labor (scaled by size), the mounting types with prices for each (scaled by size of job), fabric treatments, Glazing (scaled by size and type), moulding (scaled by feet, including waste), etc. That was just the tip of the iceberg of reasons to consider a pro system. Jim Miller did a great article about this several years back, for one of the magazines, with a much larger list.

My point is that none of these companies are expensive, when you consider what you get, and the small investment. In just about any other industry it might be triple this amount. We are fortunate to have so many companies competing for our business.

I'm not making any specific recommendations, but suggest considering the pro systems too. I compiled a comparison list of all known vendors at www.getthepictureframing.com/gfaq/ if interested.

Best regards
Mike

Last edited:
Hi Samscrimm;

If you really want to go manual using Excel, I would suggest using Excel to create, and then print a table that has united inches on the left side, and frame width across the top. Many moulding suppliers already have something similar; Each cell would show you how many feet of moulding you would need.

A second table could then be used to show the price you want to charge based on your cost per foot, and the number of feet.

Keep it simple.

- - - - -
I have written my own "POS" as I have had a lot of experience in programming in Dbase, Fortran, Access, Excel, linking etc., and I would not recommend doing anything except the basics such as above, unless you are experienced in these. And no, no one else could use my program, because I have queries and macro's that no one else could understand. Also. I price differently from most because I do a lot of decorative mat layer pricing, package pricing, and corporate, that is more difficult to handle in some of the off the shelf programs. And it links to my monthly, quarterly, and annual financials, general ledger, sales tax reporting, etc., that are different.

I still have problems with pricing because I need to import supplier prices into a text file format and bring into Excel, then link it to Access via interlinked vlookups and hlookups, and some suppliers seem to update their prices every other week. [When I was carrying Roma, it seemed like their lists had so many mistakes and corrections that it was clearly taking too much time]. So I update prices only when the limited suppliers I carry have price changes, so sometimes I may be out of date. And when something is discontinued I may not know until I try to order.

Good luck

Jfeig Sorry you don't quite understand.
Gray Owl, Thanks for your input, but if you look at my spread sheet it is simple, I look up the frame cost, width and put that in it. And it gives me the information I need. If I need more I'll be searching the grumble on the best POS system, and I know there has been a lot of post about them all. Right now I have to flip several pages in my supplier book, and use a scratch pad to make notes, ( that the customer could see) use my solar powered cal. and preso I have the price I charge the customer. So when I had the one customer with 6 frames I ran out of scratch pad and searching the catalogs for all the pricing. Oh and my desk top (kool old family kitchen table) is small on top of that. I just don't have much room in my 240 square feet.

Back