• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Ever Mount Pencil Art To KoolTack Rag?

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Have you ever mounted pencil art to Kool Tack, at 150 degrees fahrenheit?

I would usually mat it, but this small sketch looks great with just a frame. The pencil is lightly applied, so not super thick and fluffy.

Not like a pancake.

With melted butter.

And warm syrup.

Maybe I should have asked after lunch.

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Pencil is the most durable marking material out there. It persists long after ink and paint have broken down and in most cases is practically impervious to light damage. Still, I might scan it and put the original behind it.

I have frequently mounted it to Kool Tack at up to 160 F with no ill effects.

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Pencil is the most durable marking material out there. It persists long after ink and paint have broken down and in most cases is practically impervious to light damage. Still, I might scan it and put the original behind it.

I have frequently mounted it to Kool Tack at up to 160 F with no ill effects.
Thanks! I should have specified that it's regular old gray pencil (with whatever they use instead of lead these days....graphite?)
Don't colored pencils have wax in them? If so, I've wondered if that would melt at 130-150.

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I wouldn't try it on anything valuable. But if you know what kind of pencil was used, you can test it. I have dry mounted a lot of kids' art at considerably higher temperatures. And even more with Kool Tack.

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com