WTB: Equipment

Painters Framing

Grumbler in Training
Business
Amateur Framer
My wife, a consumate oil/acrylic painter has become quite prolific, to the point I can no longer afford "custom picture framing". Interested in double miter saw and two corner vises. I'm pretty sure I'll have to get a Florida sales license to order moulding and supplies, but have no intention of getting into the business.

Hi and welcome to the G.
Florida law usually requires that vendors sell only to businesses with business licenses, and a state resale/Use certificate, and that they collect and pay sales tax.
If you are framing for your own consumption and buy wholesale, you will have to pay those "Use" taxes yourself.
Some of the smaller distributors will sell to anyone, and if you don't have a resale license, they will collect and pay the tax.
I don't know too much about the distributors in your end of the state, but I would assume there are some regional entities.
Whether they will sell to you or not is the question. Some won't sell to Home Based businesses even if they have the necessary credentials.
The hardware/machine issue should be fairly easy to resolve as there are quite a bit of these kinds of tools on the secondary market.
Check with AIM Equipment (brokers) to see if there is anyone in your area listing with them.
The local/regional Craigslist also comes up with machinery occasionally, and checking with local frame shops it see if they have unused machinery they might want to part with.
There is also a Facebook Group for used framing equipment.
Be cautious with all online sales from both FB and CL.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the G.
Florida law usually requires that vendors sell only to businesses with business licenses, and a state resale/Use certificate, and that they collect and pay sales tax.
If you are framing for your own consumption and buy wholesale, you will have to pay those "Use" taxes yourself.
Some of the smaller distributors will sell to anyone, and if you don't have a resale license, they will collect and pay the tax.
I don't know too much about the distributors in your end of the state, but I would assume there are some regional entities.
Whether they will sell to you or not is the question. Some won't sell to Home Based businesses even if they have the necessary credentials.
The hardware/machine issue should be fairly easy to resolve as there are quite a bit of these kinds of tools on the secondary market.
Check with AIM Equipment (brokers) to see if there is anyone in your area listing with them.
The local/regional Craigslist also comes up with machinery occasionally, and checking with local frame shops it see if they have unused machinery they might want to part with.
There is also a Facebook Group for used framing equipment.
Be cautious with all online sales from both FB and CL.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I do intend to get a sales and use tax, if nothing else to take advantage of any moulding/liner discounts. Was actually in the framing for about 25 years, but that been about 200 years ago (in between an Army career). My wife was clearly the talent. I'm just to old to get back into the retail end of picture framing. Again, thanks for getting back to me. Rick

Back