east coast frame show seminars

johnk

Grumbler
I had the chance to take some classes with John Ranes and Jim Miller this weekend . I would like to thanks them both, for their wisdom and knowledge that they passed along to all of us. I'm looking forward to working with them again.

I also took Jim's class. What a great learning experience. It made the show well worth the trip.
A little disappointed to see several booths empty. Also big names not in attendance (ie nielsen, cresent) I guess no one needs mat boards or metal frames

Thanks again Jim

Kate O'Connell

I took a couple of classes with Jim Parrie. He is a businessman. He is someone that analyzes and really looks at the operation of frame shops. It is amazing to here how minor adjustments can make a shop function so much better. I did talk with several of the vendors there. I think the strong companies did ok. I am not sure about the smaller ones.

It is a shame that other companies do not take part in this show. Unfortunately I guess they need to pick and choose what shows they will do.
d

I wasn't able to attend the shows, but I did note that the NY show and Philly shows are relatively close to each other (in show dates). Perhaps this is why there weren't as many big vendors there?

The one thing that I love about the Philadelphia show is the opportunity to talk to vendors. It is a small show, but if you have questions/problems it is a great opportunity to talk to them....I learned quite a few tricks and tips for the Wizard yesterday- had great conversations with some of the other vendors.

Missed LJ and Neilsen. TruVue was on the list but either their booth was so small or they didn't show - but I didn't see them. Had some questions for them that'll I'll have to track down my rep for.

Bob took a class with Jim Parrie that he got tons of information from. The other plus about Philadelphia is the cost - it's not as prohibitive as NYC. Parking $10 a day, hotels around $100, good food at a reasonable price. I wish this location would turn into the big one in the February or March instead of NYC.

The big minus for this show- the time of year. On a beautiful May Sunday, I would rather be home planting flowers. I think a lot of people did just that and didn't make it to the show.

I have to put in a plug for Hugh Phibbs' preservation class. One of best presentations I have ever attended.

I was also surprised not to see some vendors at the show; I am just starting out in this, and was disappointed with some of the missing.

Philadelphia is a great place to have this, for the reasons listed already.

Joseph

The list of vendors who weren't there is probably longer than the ones that made the effort to be there. Maryann's correct, it is a nice show to talk to vendors - no large crowds - most of the vendors were visiting w/ one another when we were there Sunday. I would imagine the Philly show will go the same way the Washington D.C. show went a few years ago - Bye-Bye.

It seems like the Philly show rolls around for a couple of years, then takes a couple of years off. I remember shows in Valley Forge/King of Prussia for a couple of years (like 99/00), then they didn't come around for 2 or so more years. I wish they would space it out a little more. Have one in NY in Feb., then one towards the fall (before the holiday season keeps us all at work for 24 hrs. a day).

The seminars at this show were super! Thank you to PFM. Philadelphia is a super place to have a trade show as it is convenient to much of the east coast. In between classes, a visit to Reading Terminal and a walk through China Town kept me happy. I met many of my framer neighbors and was able to share ideas. There was an absence of some of the big guys, but I think that the quality of the seminars made up for that. I hope that it was successful enough for PFM to hold the event again.

Susan Gittlen CPF
Whispering Woods Gallery
Holland PA

Back