• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Register for the picture framer's grumble

Double sided release paper

Stephen Enggass

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Why is double sided release paper glossy on one side yet more like wax paper on the other? Being double sided I would expect them to be the same. Also, any tips on making release boards from release paper? Thanks.

Framar

WOW Framer
I don't do that much drymounting any more so a roll of release paper lasts me for years. So I don't remember any difference in the glossiness of the sides of the roll I have.

I doubt if anyone could stick any release paper to a board, though. Too slippery, ya know?

Anyhow, I use a sheet of release paper with a thin piece of flaw board on top. This approach has worked well for years. Replace each component as needed with fresh.

Lafontsee

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
It's my understanding that the super glossy side is for using on super glossy prints. Both sides work for everything else. I honestly prefer the stuff I used to get from D&K that was dull on both sides. It was less likely to crease.

As far as making release boards, you'll need single-sided release paper and drymount the uncoated side to 4-ply matboard.

James

nikodeumus

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
After 10 years of dry mounting, I just went ahead and got release board, instead of fussing with release paper and a separate board.
It just makes the process a little easier.
Not by much, but I never have to worry about creases in release paper again.
Or the paper slipping at the last second when closing the heat press.
Or the PIA of unrolling and flattening new pieces of release paper when it's time to replace.

I bought 2-32x40 release boards, cut them each in half.
I use one in the heat press and the others to lay over the piece with weights for cooling.
The release paper is still useful, I just don't use it as much.
The release board is more durable, easier to use, and stays flat.

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Easier yet is Mount Cor... it has it's own release paper..

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com
FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202