• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Dibond with one side made of paper?

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Wildenfeldt

Grumbler
Business
Martins Inramningar & Prints
Hello fellow framers.
This is maybe an odd question but do you know if dibond or something similar exist with one of the sides made of paper? It would be great if that existed because then you can mount images on that side in a vacuum sealer and with heat adhesive. So much more sturdy then using foam board with heat adhesive.

David Hewitt

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Hello fellow framers.
This is maybe an odd question but do you know if dibond or something similar exist with one of the sides made of paper? It would be great if that existed because then you can mount images on that side in a vacuum sealer and with heat adhesive. So much more sturdy then using foam board with heat adhesive.
Not that I know of, but you can mount say rag paper or board to it. In order to get a good bond to the Di-Bond, it needs to be cleaned and sanded first I have done this using a wet adhesive. The surface was primed with a thin coat, when dry, apply the final wet coat. If not cleaned and sanded well, you will see the wet glue want to separate, as if wax or oil was on the surface.

Matthew Hale

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Kool tack has a product called Competition Plate. it is ACM (DiBond) with their heat activated adhesive applied to one side. Unfortunately, their website has been down for some time so I don't have access to more specifics. We buy it from our local International Moulding supplier.

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
You probably will not find ACM with paper on one side, for at least two reasons:

1. ACM (aluminum composite material) sheeting is comprised of three layers; a plastic core with very thin aluminum skins on both sides. If paper were covering one side, then the strength and rigidity of the sheet would be seriously compromised.

2. The plastic core of ACM softens under the moderate heat of dry mounting with low-temperature, pre-applied adhesives, but the metal skins contain it to prevent deflection and warping. If paper were covering one side, then the core might react badly to the heat.

That said, you can dry mount paper to the adhesive side of an ACM sheet. Kool Tack makes several variations of ACM for that purpose. The ACM is not only among the flattest, thinnest, most rigid substrates that are practical for mounting paper artworks, but the hard, smooth, aluminum surface nearly eliminates the heretofore nearly unavoidable "orange peel" effect.

Last edited:

Wildenfeldt

Grumbler
Business
Martins Inramningar & Prints
That sounds great. That is exactly what I wanted. I will try to get ahold of that ACM from Kool Tack.

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only
Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com