• Welcome to the largest and friendlest resource for picture framers! Please LOG IN or REGISTER a free account.
    Once logged in, you will be able to SEARCH our archives.
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. Trouble? Click the CONTACT US link.

Help Design Ideas?

Springlock by Craft Inc

justawhitemat

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Customer brought in a canvas piece of artwork his wife made. His only request is no glass. (which I think is smart anyways considering how large it is). Dimensions approximately 31" x 62"
The canvas was left folded up in their car and so is currently rather crinkly and I would iron/steam it smooth. The smaller pieces of canvas are not fully adhered to the large piece, some "flip" or "fold" up off the piece, and client likes this look.
I'm at a loss for how to frame this. Perhaps gluing/ashering to a larger piece of thick black canvas and hanging tapestry style?
What would you do?

Thanks,
Kristyn

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 61

Lafontsee

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
I think if it we me, I'd suggest just gallery wrapping it on stretcher bars and letting it be a kind of sculptural object on its own. It might have pieces that hang beyond the edges, but that is just part of it. If you really wanted to sell a frame, you could put it in a floater.

James

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Customer brought in a canvas piece of artwork his wife made. His only request is no glass. (which I think is smart anyways considering how large it is). Dimensions approximately 31" x 62"
The canvas was left folded up in their car and so is currently rather crinkly and I would iron/steam it smooth. The smaller pieces of canvas are not fully adhered to the large piece, some "flip" or "fold" up off the piece, and client likes this look.
I'm at a loss for how to frame this. Perhaps gluing/ashering to a larger piece of thick black canvas and hanging tapestry style?
What would you do?

Thanks,
Kristyn

I think if it we me, I'd suggest just gallery wrapping it on stretcher bars and letting it be a kind of sculptural object on its own. It might have pieces that hang beyond the edges, but that is just part of it. If you really wanted to sell a frame, you could put it in a floater.

James

I agree with James.
I would gallery wrap it on bars and just let it be what it is either with a floater or just as a gallery wrap.

Good luck with this project.

Myrna

What immediately comes to mind is yes on the "gallery wrap" but on a lower profile say a 3 inch wide by 1 inch tall strainer, then wrapping a board with kind of a neutral but textural fabric. Float the wrapped canvas on the fabric board and leave about 2 inches or so showing, then place all of this into a float frame, you would need to get creative on the attachment. The other type of frame that could be used is a profile with a tall outside, this Bella moulding comes to mind http://www.bellamoulding.com/garage-grey-deep-cap This would obviously cost more but have a very strong presence on the wall. Have fun!

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

justawhitemat

Let me guess..... The artwork out of square, is painted right to the edges and he doesn't want to lose anything....?
It's not so much out of square as it is layered and collaged so that some of the pieces overlap beyond the edges.
I don't think he's too picky about what I do with it as long as he can display it nicely, I just thought to ask if anyone had some creative solutions I couldn't come up with.
He frequently frames his wife's artwork, which he and I both like, despite her occasional protests.

justawhitemat

What immediately comes to mind is yes on the "gallery wrap" but on a lower profile say a 3 inch wide by 1 inch tall strainer, then wrapping a board with kind of a neutral but textural fabric. Float the wrapped canvas on the fabric board and leave about 2 inches or so showing, then place all of this into a float frame, you would need to get creative on the attachment. The other type of frame that could be used is a profile with a tall outside, this Bella moulding comes to mind http://www.bellamoulding.com/garage-grey-deep-cap This would obviously cost more but have a very strong presence on the wall. Have fun!
How would you create a canvas board? Given that this is over 60", would you glue fabric down to a hard substrate? And then, how to attach the wrapped canvas?

Register for the picture framer's grumble

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Register for the picture framer's grumble
What medium (or media) were used? Might ironing damage it?

Do you have a dry mount vacuum press? I wonder if, in the future, she'd be open to letting you pre-mount her base fabric to a sturdy substrate before she attaches everything. If she wants the edges left loose, that could easily be done. Fusion 4000 and Canvas MountCor are two things that come to mind. Am writing here to see what people think of this. (If I come back to find a heap of rotten tomatoes, we'll toss 'em to the chickens. ha ha....)

justawhitemat

Do you have a dry mount vacuum press? I wonder if, in the future, she'd be open to letting you pre-mount her base fabric to a sturdy substrate before she attaches everything. If she wants the edges left loose, that could easily be done. Fusion 4000 and Canvas MountCor are two things that come to mind. Am writing here to see what people think of this. (If I come back to find a heap of rotten tomatoes, we'll toss 'em to the chickens. ha ha....)
I think this was a one time experiment for her. She doesn't seem to love it, he wants to hang it in his office though. Typically she brings me paintings on pre-stretched canvases bought at art supply stores.

I don't have a vaccuum press but do have a smaller drymount press whit open sides.

justawhitemat

And I was hoping to just iron from the back. I believe it's acrylic but I'll see her today so I can double check.

Airpag Corner, packing solution for frame shipping

Prospero

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
It doesn't look too bad just perched on that board.:D

How about mounting some unprimed (brown) canvas over stretcher bars and stitching the piece to it?
a tag gun might work - and be quicker. A lot of stitches could be hidden beneath the flappy bits.
The canvas would make a a stable and light substrate and all you would have to do in put a frame round it.
The thought occurs that if you tried stretching the thing itself bits might drop off. Think of it as a 3D object
and celebrate it's non-straightness.

Myrna

How would you create a canvas board? Given that this is over 60", would you glue fabric down to a hard substrate? And then, how to attach the wrapped canvas?
I did not look at how long it is. You could use liners that are flat from Raphael's or Franks's Fabrics rather than a board. They have endless possibilities for texture and color. Then screw right through the board into the strainer.

Airpag Corner, packing solution for frame shipping