• Welcome to the largest and friendlest resource for picture framers! Please LOG IN or REGISTER a free account.
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. Trouble? Click the CONTACT US link.
  • Congratulations to our 9500th member, FramerLancashire!
    You win 2 complimentary months of Donor Level status on the G.

Opinions Wanted Delicate silk mounted between 2 panes of glass.

Ad Banner for SmallCorp

DMJ

Grumbler in Training
Lookong for some ideas to frame a wide piece of material - a silk scarf. CLient would ideally like it on a see through background (ie glass or similar) so the wall behind is visible. How can I keep the material from moving? We thought of some form of fixitive (glue or tape) but 1) the material is partially see through and 2) we don't want to damage the silk.

Anyone with any suggestions?

Thx

EllenAtHowards

PFG, Picture Framing God
Register for the picture framer's grumble
You are going to be so happy, because this is a Slam Dunk. Silk is nicely responsive to static and acrylic sheeting can be made just FULL of it.

So, pull the covering briskly off a sheet of acrylic to build up a static charge. If you need a little more charge, rub the acrylic with a piece of wool or silk (though NOT the art itself! hehehe). Lay the scarf on the acrylic and it will be stuck. Put another piece of acrylic on the front and that is all you need to hold the silk in place. Put it in the frame.

I did a big Armani silk scarf that way and told the customer to bring it back if it ever slips. Haven't heard from her, so assume that it is still stuck down.

By the way, you can't get the same effect with glass...

jbear

Grumbler in Training
Business
framer and gilder
Is it possible to use this method with shattered silk? I have a silk scarf to frame which is very delicate around the edges and my client and I discussed float framing it. Having read alot of info on this I am worried about air circulation for the silk- did you use two acrylic panels for this? Sorry this was written a while ago...

Register for the picture framer's grumble
W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades