Decorative Hook

fourcorners

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Hi all,

I'm putting a large Chinese scroll in a shadowbox and I'm looking for a decorative hook to place at the top of the scroll to give the illusion that it is hanging from said hook. I already Googled and was not immediately impressed with anything. So I thought I'd put it out there to you all who may have something in-shop I could purchase. Ideally it would have an Asian flare but I'm not set on that. The only request my customer had is that it not be gold. I'm thinking a brushed silver or black. Anyone have one they want to sell me?

Thanks!

Or World Market...same type. I get requests a lot for the decorative rods for hanging tapestries. Find 'em there also.

Or Restoration Hardware.

By the way, I just did a couple of these myself, and I'm curious as to how you are mounting the scrolls. I used strips of mylar just above and below the dowel rods, with attach-EZ on the ribbon...the whole thing floating on a pearly silk-covered mat.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I searched their websites and came up empty. I did end up finding a possibility from my Google search but I'm not all that impressed. I figured some Grumbler out there may carry some decorative hanging hardware but maybe not! Thanks again.

Fourcorners, I have 3 large scrolls coming up to do soon, and am also interested, like PaulSF, how you mounted them. I have some ideas, but could use more thoughts on it....care to share?

United has some nice looking "Oriental Hangers" that may work for your application.

Now we're getting somewhere!
thumbsup.gif
I knew you all would come through for me!

As far as mounting goes, this particular scroll will be mounted on a linen mat. My plan is also to use Attach-EX on the ribbon to hold it taut. On the dowels I'll use a heavy black thread (both dowel and backing are black) positioned closely to the scroll to give the whole piece extra support. What I've done in the past with heavier pieces is to hinge a piece of rag mat behind the artwork and then I can tack that backing to the mat backing. I'll probably use 2-ply just to give it a little support but not add too much weight. I hope this is making sense... what goes on in my head doesn't always make it to my mouth/keyboard the way I'd like.

I like the Oriental hangers from United. They come in two sizes and three or four styles and are very attractive.

They are ONLY ornamental, though. They attach with tiny brass screws and would not support the weight of the piece.

Kit

Uh oh. I just looked at their on-line catalog and couldn't find them, although 'oriental hangers' are listed in the pull down menu.

The fastest, easiest thing would be to call United. The people there have always been friendly and helpful. Even if the hangers are discontinued, they may still have a few lying around.

Kit

Back