Decor Show?

McPhoto

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
The last time we had attended the NY show it was at the piers. We stayed in Secaucus, NJ & drove into the city for the show. It was a hassle driving - but it was a lot less expensive than staying in NYC!

It is my understanding that we can still stay in New Jersey and take the ferry directly to the Javits Center. Would appreciate any Grumbler's suggestions as to where to stay, best deals, etc. etc.

Thanks for your assistance!

Hi Mike

Is the parking, ferry, local transportion, and hotel in NJ that much cheaper? It may end up costing more.

Ambassador offers the Pennsylvania hotel for $109, The Milford for $119, Novotel for $159, Westin Times Square (we're staying here again and really enjoyed it last year) $199.

A lot of people stay at the Comfort Inn, which is $109 and has free parking.

The rates are often better if you go directly through the hotels website.

There are free shuttles running from some of the major hotels, and the others (in most cases) are just a few blocks from the stops.

[ 02-07-2004, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Mike-L@GTP ]

I have used the City Lights bed and breakfast booking agency three times to find good Manhattan bed and breakfast accomodation. Once we were in a well kept doorman apartment just a block from Carnegie Hall, and another time two blocks from the Lincoln Centre.

There is a incredible variety and we have met an interesting group of hosts. Rates are from $90 to $150.

Here is their web site.

http://www.citylightsbandb.com

Alan

[ 02-08-2004, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: Alan Sturgess ]

I've suggested this before, I'll suggest it again. I have stayed at the TravelInn for the last two years. It is a very short walk to Javits, and there are places to eat close by. You can park at the hotel, and parking is included in the room rate. You can book through Travelocity. The last time I checked the rate was $125.00.

Thanks for your response -
We made our reservations for the Travel Inn - Just in time too! They only had two non-smoking rooms left.

BTW - is there a Grumbler get-together planned?
Thanks again!

I'm the one who puts together the get-togethers. I haven't decided if I am going, and if I do, it will probably be Sunday only.

The New York attendees don't seem to have the interest the Atlanta attedees do. Last year, I attempted a get-together, and there was only three of us who visited at lunch. I think there was a breakfast meeting, but I heard that was too well attended, either. If they only knew what they were missing. We have had great times in Atalnta.

For those of you going, I'd recommend you exchange cell phone numbers off-line.

One of the great joys in Atlanta was an impromptu lunch on the showroom floor on the last day, arranged over cell phones.

Let's see: There was Mel, MerpsMom, Edie The Framing Goddess and, I think, a couple of guys from Illinois.

Email me! Email me!

I won't be in NY for the show but I whole heartedly agree with Ron on the cell phone exchange.

(And I WILL accept all CARE packages from the show in NY!)

FGII

P.S. It's doubtful though that you will find any good Key lime pie in NYC. (But ......... I am willing to run taste tests on any that you DO come across up there.)

Just booked the Marriott Marquis on Priceline for $121. Not too bad for a 4-star in Times Square that is on the shuttle route. Probably wouldn't be a great deal for those driving in tho.

I am going down for a day trip on Friday. Probably not enough time to have a big sit down lunch off premises, but if anyone wants to get together in the Javits I'd enjoy it.

??anyone

Cliff

Originally posted by mcphoto:
Framerguy -
How about some of that famous NYC Cheesecake?

Or maybe pizza? :D
If we're getting together on Sunday, The Lovely Blanche and I would be more than willing to lead a contingent of Grumblers to Junior's for the world's best cheesecake!

Maryann and I will be driving in Saturday evening for a Sunday visit to the show floor. We hope to see many of you there.

Back