Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
From
Lincoln, RI
Business
Get The Picture
This one expires today. See www.thedailydeals.com for details.

There's a great Dell deal today only if looking for a home machine, holiday gift for a student, or even a POS workstation.

Dell Pentium 4 2.4ghz with 17" LCD monitor (worth ~ $350 alone), 256mb memory, 40gb hd, cd rom, sound card, faxmodem, net card, 533 bus, XP Home, kb & mouse, 1 year on site warr.

$579 after $100 rebate. Free shipping, no tax
dundee1.jpg
Dundee the deal finding dog

stud d

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
From
next too you
del always has good deals on their refurbished machines. that is what i have. if i would have got this deathbox full price it would have been about 1500, but the refurbished was 990!? it has the same warranties and all that. good for the stuff i do and the few things i am looking at doing.
d

David Waldmann

Herder of cats
Forum Donor
Vendor
Featured Vendor Forum Sponsor
From
Chester, Vermont USA
Business
Vermont Hardwoods
Originally posted by Mike-L@GTP:
...no tax...
Are you sure about that? We always pay tax at Dell. Is that because I buy as a business?

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
From
Jacksonville Beach, FL USA
Business
Sunshine Frames
Mike, I just went through the process, and the free shipping isn't cued up at Dell. You have to place the order, then call on line ordering (800)915-3355 and have them take the shipping charges off. I decided to not order because of the software needs of my high schooler. She "has to have" a CD burner and Power Point which drive the cost back up. Oh well, no free lunch....again.

Dave, no tax delivered to some states, and this deal is only available for home or home office (though how they would know is beyond me).

[ 10-10-2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: wpfay ]

Framerguy

PFG, Picture Framing God
From
Destin, Florida
Most people tend to shy away from "refurbished" equipment. I see "refurbished" equipment in a different light. Somebody else has taken that piece of equipment and "test driven" it for me.

They may have found some bugs in the system and returned it for final tweaking. I feel assured that, when that equipment leaves the factory the second time as a "refurbished" item, it is running perfectly. I don't recall having ever heard of somebody buying a refurbished item and having it break down again.

I may not be in the loop on this kind of information but it is comforting to know that a refurbished computer has been gone over twice to ensure that it is working properly.

Framerguy

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
From
Lincoln, RI
Business
Get The Picture
Thanks for the msgs.

David: The home division doesnt charge tax, except in the home state where they are located. The other divisions DO charge tax. (of course, the law probably says you should in fact forward the appropriate amount to your state for any internet purchases - but people rarely do so)

Dennis: This isn't a refurbished PC. It's a new one.

Framerguy: I agree. Just today I ordered the refurbished KitchenAid blender mentioned on the same site for $99. (includes $30 in extra goodies today too: free roasting pan, baster, & rack) These things are usually $269 and I've wanted one for years.

Wally: CD burners are as low as $25 weekly at the above link. It can easily be put in later. Shipping is almost always free and i'll check that out. It doesnt come out until the end of the checkout process usually. Microsoft Powerpoint won't usually come with computers as a standard item. It is bundled with the high end version of Office (Office XP Professional ~$300-$500).

Have a great weekend!
Mike & Dundee

[ 10-10-2003, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Mike-L@GTP ]

Ron's dog's flea's brain on acid

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
From
canine skin
Thanks for the heads-up Mike!

Snagged one this morning!

I saw the offer as "Buy this 17-inch flat-screen monitor, and get a Dell Pentium 4 2.4ghz, 256mb memory, 40gb hd, cd rom, sound card, faxmodem, net card, 533 bus, XP Home, kb & mouse, etc. for only $259 extra!"

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
From
Lincoln, RI
Business
Get The Picture
I'm tempted to buy one. Our store POS computer is a tired old 400 mhz clone with Windows 98.

Did it charge for shipping?

Mike

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
From
Jacksonville Beach, FL USA
Business
Sunshine Frames
Yep, its now a lot more plus 300.00 upgrade for the flat panel monitor...

[ 10-10-2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: wpfay ]

Meghan MacMillan

Forum Donor
From
Baltimore, MD
Originally posted by Framerguy:
Most people tend to shy away from "refurbished" equipment. I see "refurbished" equipment in a different light. Somebody else has taken that piece of equipment and "test driven" it for me.

I may not be in the loop on this kind of information but it is comforting to know that a refurbished computer has been gone over twice to ensure that it is working properly.

Framerguy
Once bitten. Twice shy. I used to think this way. I still do about cars, DVDs and books. I rarely buy any of those items new. Electronics, not so much. A year or so ago I ordered a digital camera and a film camera, both "factory refurbished", both Fuji. The digital camera seemed to work great, but the USB connection absolutely would not work. Back it went. The film camera is a decent mid-range one. The flash has never ever fired in "Auto" mode. I did not discover this until after my 15 days to return it had passed.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
From
Lincoln, RI
Business
Get The Picture
The deal ended a few hours ago, unfortunately :(

The early bird gets the worm. A local competitor saw the post and called me to walk him through it on their site. During our call the offer was changed. Apparently they had a huge response and realized it was too low.

[ 10-10-2003, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Mike-L@GTP ]

D

Dermot

Let me restate this, the refurbished systems sold by Dell are for the most part new systems which have never been opened by a customer……they are systems which in some cases have never left the factory…..the customer has either cancelled the order for one reason or other…..they can be duplicate orders….or orders which may have failed a credit check…i.e. fraud is the general cause for a credit failure…….for the most part a refurbished system from Dell will only have a Software swap out….in the US this may not even be the case…..as the language is the same…….a swap out of software can be necessary in Europe, South America, Asia…etc. where there are different languages……ALL refurbished systems regardless of what is done to them when go through a retesting just as a new system would go through……….Dell for legal reasons cannot sell refurbished systems as new (this has got to do with the direct sales model Dell use)….regardless of the fact that they may never have left the factory…..or have been opened by a customer

Most system returned to Dell that have been opened by a customer are brokered off to computer dealers……..or are used internally by Dell.

Rgs

Dermot

[ 10-10-2003, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Dermot ]

JPete

Charter Member
From
Huron SD USA
The Dell site still shows it for $599 after $100 rebate but you do pay shipping $99. Not bad tho considering you are getting the P4 instead of the Celeron and the Flat Monitor is free plus 256 memory.