• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Cutting DiBond

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
According to the Fletcher site, a 3100 can cut ACM up to 2 millimeters thick. Here's my question. Is it possible to cut 4 ml board, by doing one cut one each side, so they 'meet in the middle'? Or not? I'm guessing not, but figured it's worth asking. We've never worked with it before, and the piece will be around 43 x 59. Trying to figure out whether to get a big one and try cutting, or just get it pre-cut.

Peter Odems

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I sometimes use Dibond because it works nicely. Dibond has an outside layer of very thin aluminum on both sides and that makes it strong as a plate. I never gutted it with a guillotine-equipment but saw it at a flat sawing-table. Technically seen you need an other blade (teeth-angle) as sawing wood/MDF. Don't you have a workshop around with a flat sawing-table?

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
Not sure, but a call to Fletcher or John Ranes would help. I believe the tool for that would be the twin-disc cutter usually used for aluminum sheeting. If so, then you probably couldn't force that through 4 mm ACM.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
I've cut it with a straight edge and a utility knife. Takes a bit of effort and the edges require a little touch up with a steel burnisher and a file, but for framing purposes it works fine.
I was hesitant doing this but confirmed with a local sign/graphics company and they said they did it that way rather than have a dedicated machine.
YMMV

i-FRAMER

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
I have used the MDF cutting tool on the fletcher 3100 to cut disband 3-4mm thick.
The 4mm gets a bit tough. But if you are strong enough it will work.
I haven't broken in blades yet, and it still cuts my MDF board no problems

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System
Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only